Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th June 2020, 06:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGolding View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the advice everyone, I ordered a C330 and it arrived in the post this morning. I'm very surprised by the weight difference between the C33 and C330. The body was well worn but I'm not too bothered about that because I intend on using pretty often and in environments that aren't as forgiving. (I shoot a lot of protests with Extinction Rebellion).
I had a look at C220s but I worried that not cocking the shutter automatically would get on my nerves so I dipped into my savings and payed out for the body of a c330. I'm a student so was on a budget but i was lucky enough to work a job full time last summer so I have a decent reserve of money to waste on cameras that should be obsolete by now.
I'm looking forward to Covid coming to a close (so like 12 months now maybe haha) and getting out to properly enjoy this camera other than taking photos with my housemates.
Again thank you all for the advice, it's very kind of everyone. Once I've put a few rolls through it I'm hoping to turn my room into a temporary darkroom which should be fun and good use of the time I have at the moment.
Thanks again,

Sky
A wise decision, my C3 had no inter-lock between wind and shutter and that can be an issue,however as I only used it for colour (or with a 55mm lens) alongside my C33 a with B&W it was really only used for sessions and I wound on after every shot and cocked the shutter.

I have similar issues using a Rolleicord or MPP Microcord tehy don't have inter-linked shutter, I find it a major down side to both cameras.

If you're shooting protests you need to work fast. I used 35mm in the anti Tahtcher protests of the early 1970's while shooting for the NUS.

Ian
Old 9th June 2020, 05:59 PM
Friend

If you're photographing protest marches, or doing 'street' work, look for a left handed grip. More secure hold if you get jostled, and if you keep the neck strap short you can kind of pull the camera tight against the strap to steady it up.
The Mamiya is actually a good street camera- the waist finder is less familiar to folk than an eye-level prism. Everyone expects you to lift a camera to your eye to shoot. When people do spot it the will ask you about your "weird antique camera". Can be a good ice-breaker to get engaged with possible subjects.
Old 12th June 2020, 08:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
If you're photographing protest marches, or doing 'street' work, look for a left handed grip. More secure hold if you get jostled, and if you keep the neck strap short you can kind of pull the camera tight against the strap to steady it up.
The Mamiya is actually a good street camera- the waist finder is less familiar to folk than an eye-level prism. Everyone expects you to lift a camera to your eye to shoot. When people do spot it the will ask you about your "weird antique camera". Can be a good ice-breaker to get engaged with possible subjects.
+1. The C330 is akward to hold as-is, but the grip transforms its handling to something much more agile and ergonomic. You can get Mamiya's own grip, but there are also 3rd party ones that can work well. I have an old Vivitar one that has a large square mounting plate and an adjustable angle handle - it's very solid, secure and comfortable...like it was made for a TLR.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies