Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th August 2010, 09:36 PM
Friend

Default Jobo CPE

Recently picked this up on the auction site for 99p A bit of work soldering up various detached wires and all is well but as can be seen It's missing one of the bottles , For now I have made up a holder for the Jobo square bottles but I'm wondering if anyone possibly has a round 1 litre Jobo bottle maybe kicking about under the enlarger bench ?

Paul
Old 10th August 2010, 12:23 AM
Friend

Paul, I didn't even know the CPE took round bottles. Mine must be the CPE2 plus with the square holes for squarish Jobo bottles.

So if that my situation why have I bothered to reply? Well if you have no success with the round bottles, measure the holes and check out the size of the brown glass bottles that Boots' dispensaries sell. It looks as if the nominally 500cc bottle might fit. Better still the 500cc Boots cod liver oil bottles might fit. You get a free bottle and you and the family get the dose of vitamin D and omega 3 that a lot of experts say we lack.

Just a thought

Mike
Old 11th August 2010, 06:17 PM
Friend

I'm not to sure how old the processor is Mike , But it looks nothing like the cpe I picked up along with a tbe tempering bath a couple of years a go .

The previous owner assures me that it will do 20x24 prints with the right drum , unfortunately he had all ready sold the drums

Thanks for the cod liver oil tip I have all ready been browsing the local supermarket for suitable containers or maybe some amber glass bottles from Firstcall if they are the right diameter .

Paul
Old 11th August 2010, 07:16 PM
Friend

Just reading through the rotary processor manual that arrived from Amazon today and it appears that what I have is a CPA and not a CPE and is probably from the 70's

Paul
Old 12th August 2010, 11:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMarkey View Post
Just reading through the rotary processor manual that arrived from Amazon today and it appears that what I have is a CPA and not a CPE and is probably from the 70's

Paul
CPAs were the upmarket versions of the CPE - it could take bigger drums and offer a tempering math for chemicals.

I used one in the late 70s / early 80s at University.

We calibrated ours by pencilling onto the temperature dial the various operating temperatures we needed (20, 24 & 38C) - it saved ages of messing around trying to get the temperature we were after.

I expect all the modern tanks and drums should fit.

The best way I found of removing a drum/tank from the magnetic coupling was to get my fingers into the water bath, underneath the far end of the tank and lift it up. By just grabbing the tank near to the coupling, made breaking magnets apart surprisingly hard work.

Have fun

Martin
Old 13th August 2010, 11:39 AM
Friend

Seeing Martin's comment about lifting the tank off has reminded me to offer a tip which you may already know of. If you use stop bath in a rotary keep a close watch on the red rubber top that fits over the tank. Mine always blew with stop and I lost a bit into the water bath each time.

If I am processing film I have decided to do a simple hand inversion with stop which for whatever reason doesn't create a "blow" or may be does but it's controlled when the tank is held and simply upended

When it comes to RA4 it didn't seem to happen. Maybe because the print tanks are so much bigger with more room for gas expansion. Again if you notice this tendency when printing it is easy enough to do the stop cycle by inversion.

Mike
Old 13th August 2010, 12:28 PM
Friend

I had a few problems with the top blowing off when on the stop cycle but a pin hole through the cap sorted it

Paul
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies