Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th February 2018, 07:30 PM
Friend

I shot a roll of Rollei IR with my mamiya 6 quite a while ago, with the filter I figured iso6, which is an easy calc on this camera.
Although they were shots of nothing much, they weren't particularly grainy even in ilfosol and I quite liked them.
I haven't shot any since mainly because they're a bit niche, iso6 is obviously tripod country and the opportunities to get the best from IR are limited, especially when my shooting time generally is already limited.
Never shot SFX, but by the looks of it its nothing like full on IR.
Old 9th February 2018, 06:15 PM
Friend

I have used the rollei ir400 this last couple of years, and found it quite satisfying.
Old 10th February 2018, 11:06 AM
Friend

Sold! Rollei IR400 in 120 it is.
Can use it in my second Mamiya body, and the TLR is handy as I can leave the filter on the taking lens and still see to compose without obstruction through the 'finder. Half the price of SFX so bracketing exposures while I get used to it less costly. If the 5x4 film base is a bit flimsy there's more risk of scratches and handling errors loading holders and tray processing.

I have PMK Pyro and Rodinal available in my darkroom. Any suggestions on best developer?
Old 13th February 2018, 09:40 PM
Administrator

I have an image in the gallery of SFX shot on 120. You can't really tell in the scan but grain is very reasonable (IMO of course!). The little I have shot with it suggests that sun is important even with the SFX IR filter to get the "IR effect". I seem to recall reading that the film is a modified HP5, but don't know how accurate that is.

It would be interesting to see what 5x4 IR looks like

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...o/442/ppuser/3

Cheers, Bob.
Old 13th February 2018, 11:42 PM
Friend

Default Infrared.

Great picture, Bob! I bought some SFX last year when it was ‘on special’. I took a roll of 120 out of the fridge tonight, and am half way through a 36 exp roll of 35mm. I’ve been using the Cokin IR filter, but will try the Rollei one for 120. I agree about lots of sun. It gives an almost IR effect without any filter with generous exposure in strong sun.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th February 2018, 08:37 AM
Friend

Default IR Film and grain

It all depends on how much the image is enlarged. I very rarely enlarge anything less than 9.5x12 and that is about the cut-off point for IR film.

Go to 12 x16 and above then it really becomes oppressive with 35mm. There was another IR film made by Konica (discontinued in the early 90's) which was only 32 ISO so a tripod was essential but that had a very fine grain.

On the other hand, when I was living in the south of England I knew a photographer who simulated IR very successfully but with Ilford FP4/Rodinal. He used a normal red filter (X8 factor) and a polariser filter in tandem. the black sky's and white foliage was an almost exact copy of what you get with true IR, but with less grain and a lot cheaper. Again he always had to use a tripod.

However he was an expert and visionary printer who admitted the effect sometimes took a lot of work in the darkroom to get right.

I would agree with him, but when it came together the effect was incredibly eye catching.

Last edited by John King; 14th February 2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 14th February 2018, 09:26 AM
Friend

How did your photographer pal manage to get white foliage using a red filter, John? Seems to me he'd get the opposite effect.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 14th February 2018, 10:31 AM
Friend

Default White foliage

To be honest I don't know but it may have had something to do with the addition of the polarising filter - you have got me there.

I cannot remember a great number of his pictures with foliage either, most of his pictures seemed to be sea-scapes, boats, and mountains. Whatever it was he did it was effective. I have lost touch with him since moving up north 17 years ago so cannot ask him.
Old 14th February 2018, 03:44 PM
Friend

I tried this myself with either HP5+ or D400 in 135, using a red and polariser. It happened to be in Cornwall and by the sea so the air was clear, pollution was very low and the sun was shining. I managed almost black skies and sea but never really got close to white foliage. With a 400 film hand-held shots were perfectly possible.

Mike
Old 13th April 2018, 02:20 PM
Friend

Settled on Rollei IR 400 in 120 format to try.
Sun came out last weekend, so I just 'had' to shoot a roll to test it. It's really lovely. Exposed at EI 6 and developed in PMK Pyro 2+4+100 for 8 minutes. Lovely negatives, with good shadow detail and fine grain. No great images unfortunately, but now looking forward to the trees taking on leaf again. Looks very promising.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies