Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2018, 11:16 AM
Friend

Hi Ian,

I saw that video as well but thought he was saying "tray processed". I could well be wrong. Your point remains valid, though. Again, he invents a term "minimally agitated" or "extreme minimal agitation" because if he said stand or semi-stand then no one would feel the need to buy his videos.

Every YouTube video he shows is a teaser. He produces an example that seems to show his Power of Process is the bee's knees in that hope that the viewer will be sufficiently curious to shell out.

I'm going to shut up now before I develop weird, obsessive stalker status.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 9th March 2018, 11:45 AM
Friend

Bruce, I think Sandy King was using minimal agitation with Pyrocat quite a lote earlier tahn Steve Sherman. I've had contact with Snady over the years discussing his methods.

There's a difference between minimal agitation which might be 4 inversions cycles during say 15 mins of development and the extreme minimal agitation that Steve Sherman refers to, which is his take on stand development.

Yes I was assuming tray development in Steve's example, I should have put that in. I'm not against Steve's techniques, I just find he's over describing the advantages etc.

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 9th March 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:09 PM
Friend

To be fair to Steve Sherman, he does go back a long way. I first came across him over 20 years go when he was a regular on the Michael and Paula forum, posting about minimal agitation development techniques he was working on, using Pyrocat and very large negatives which he contact printed. I believe he liked to photograph in flat light and minimal agitation boosted the micro contrast and helped to give the prints a distinct look. In other words he was using the technique for a specific reason. At the time it was likened to the effect you could get by using USM in Photoshop when printing digitally.
Problems arise when people copy a technique, not because they have a specific reason, but just because it sounds good, and then apply it without thinking to problems it was never intended to overcome.
Nothing beats doing your own tests, evaluating your own results, thinking for yourself, and keeping in mind what you actually want to achieve in your own photography.

Alan
Old 9th March 2018, 01:37 PM
Friend

Alan, I discussed this point (use with ULF contact prints) in threads with Steve.

EMA like stand development, is not a universal panacea to achieve high quality consistent results. In Steve's case it relates to improved apparent sharpness with contact prints (as you say).

Many (well some) of us can remember the Acutance developers of the 60's and 70's Kodak HDD, Ilford Hyfin, Paterson Acutol and Acutol-S, Johnsons Definol and Crawley's published formulae. These all gave quite strong acutance effects with normal agitation.

Acutol gave reasonable but noticeable acutance compared to say ID-11/D76 with a slight increase in grain, Acutol-S gave quite exaggerated acutance, graphic, gariny and unpleasant in a 10x8 print off a 35mm negative, unless that was the look you were after. It worked better with 10x8 prints from 120 or larger negatives.

Ian
Old 9th March 2018, 02:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Hi Ian,

Again, he invents a term "minimally agitated" or "extreme minimal agitation" because if he said stand or semi-stand then no one would feel the need to buy his videos.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Brock, what videos have you been watching on Youtube? It sounds like something from a video on impotentcy
Old 9th March 2018, 04:19 PM
Friend

Here's the Videos.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies