Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st July 2020, 07:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Where in terms of height are the holes on the sides as a matter of interest?

Thanks

Mike
They're about 21cm above the base (Old Nova Trimate 12x16)
Pete
Old 1st July 2020, 08:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
They're about 21cm above the base (Old Nova Trimate 12x16)
Pete
Thanks Pete. So about 2/3rds of the way up the slot. I take it that the plugs (rubber?) are tight enough to prevent leaks. Does it need a thin knife blade to start the prising out of the plugs or are they threaded in and unscrew?

I tried looking at the Imaging Warehouse and AgPhotographic but the pictures show only the slot drain taps and not the waterjacket drain plugs so I was none the wiser hence my questions above

It has just struck me that we might be talking about two different models. The Ag pics show the slot drain plugs about halfway up the slots but looks to be on the non l heated water jacket model although why the slot drain plugs are not on the bottom is a mystery as the tap then will then drain only half the slot or so it seems

Thanks

Mike
Old 1st July 2020, 09:18 PM
Friend

The bungs don't seem particularly water tight, but the instructions are to fill to the level of these holes until the water just dribbles out then insert the bungs. The water isn't to fill above them. They are push/pull rather than screw. I think they're just there to help reduce spillage if the unit is shifted suddenly. It would operate without.
Pete
Old 1st July 2020, 10:52 PM
Friend

Thanks Pete. It may be that when the design of the Nova changed from filling the water jacket from above with no holes on the side as in the case of my Nova to holes on the side the designer realised that the water jacket only need to be half to two thirds full to work OK

It raises the question of whether the old Novas really need the water jackets to filled to the top.

Anyone else with a old Nova like mine have any thoughts on this?

Mike
Old 1st July 2020, 10:52 PM
Friend

Default Nova Processors

I am totally confused now. I bought a new processer back in 1992 and it had the water jacket bungs on the rear with the filling holes directly above

Since then I have had 2 more and sold them when I had to give up colour printing because of an allergic reaction to the chemicals. They were exactly the same as the first.

The one I use now is a 12x16 second hand but but unused. It has the latest micro electronic temperature control that plugs in direct to the wall socket and the temp is adjusted there, not on the end of the heating elements. (Much safer).

This has no holes in the back to measure the water jacket level. The level is checked by a clear glass window at the front. The drain for the water jacket is also at the front but empties quicker because the filling holes are still at the rear.

So the early ones are the ones with the bung holes and the later ones don't have them
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:07 AM
Friend

I replaced the bungs on mine with a new set from Nova a few years ago. They perish after a while. It would be worth contacting them if new bungs are needed.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:18 AM
Friend

Default Colour Printing

Not quite in keeping with the thread, but is it my imagination that home colour printing is on the rise. I have seen more threads recently than ever before.
That can only be good news.
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:06 PM
Friend

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200702_145606886_HDR-612x816.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	3831

Name:	IMG_20200702_145628495_HDR-612x816.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	3832

Name:	IMG_20200702_145637298_HDR-612x816.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	3833

This is mine
Pete
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:14 PM
Administrator

My two - the heated type with integral thermostats - have the holes on the back panel. Perhaps there are three models: those without, those with and the latest version with the external Powerstat and clear windows. Dunno - I've only seen the last two types.
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:09 PM
Friend

Pete, your pics make your Nova set-up pretty clear but unless you are only meant to fill up to the level of the hole which means only half a water jacket full then I'd have thought that the plugs have to be completely watertight to work and that's where leaks are possible

Perhaps the plugs are watertight and that is what Alex was referring to when he mentioned having to change them for new ones at intervals

Given that water-jacket draining by syphon is relatively easy and Bob's method is even simpler, I am not sure that the holes half way up were an improvement.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies