Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th August 2019, 03:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And it arrived about only ten days after ordering it = well done posties all around the world involved in getting it to me!

Manky weather outside today, so I'll be in the darkroom this afternoon. But I do have a day off on Wednesday, so if the weather is a bit better, I have my S3 AND my box brownie to try out. It'll then be a high probability that someone will be getting a print from one of the cameras really soon!

Terry S
Let us know how you get on with it.

Martin
Old 6th August 2019, 11:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post

Martin
I will do Martin.

I'm very excited to try out this new format (to me) camera and just looking at the weather forecast for Wednesday, it looks like sun and a bit of cloud all day = ideal for me!

Terry S
Old 26th August 2019, 01:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post

Martin
Well, after having trouble with my (Rodinal) developer NOT developing my first film (I don't think we need to go into that, as that's being discussed on a separate thread), I went out and tried to retrace my steps to take another roll.

So, apart from one frame overlapping slightly = I don't know if that was me or the camera or both(?), the whole film of bracketed exposures came out well! The negatives of the actual exposures taken seem spot on, but I will try printing some of the one stop over and under etc. as well just to see if I prefer one of them = you never know!

As expected, pointing the camera up or down, instead of straight on, does give rather a warped view of things, but hey, I might want that effect sometimes?

I took the majority of the film on a tripod, but also took one or two handheld exposures. I did this to see how low a shutter speed I could hand hold before camera shake, as even at 1/250 second exposure, it actually takes longer than that, as it has a rotating lens to expose a larger negative. I suspect 1/250 to be closer to 1/60, but tests will show over time what I can get away with.

So far it's been great fun and it definitely gave me the push to get out and take some pictures of things that suit the new panoramic format. And of course, for only about 125 pounds, including about 25 pounds of that for carriage from Russia, it's a real bargain of a camera, especially as it all (camera, case and odd bits and bobs) appears to be so well made. If you've ever ummed and arred about getting one, now's the time before Lomo takes over and the prices go up!

Oh, and attached are a couple of really bad digital compact pictures of two of the negatives held in front of the bathroom window, so they really don't do the camera or film justice. They're there just until the first print swap when its all used on and proper prints start to appear in the galleries.

Terry S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418AAA.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	3194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420AAA.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	3195  
Old 29th August 2019, 12:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I took the majority of the film on a tripod, but also took one or two handheld exposures. I did this to see how low a shutter speed I could hand hold before camera shake, as even at 1/250 second exposure, it actually takes longer than that, as it has a rotating lens to expose a larger negative. I suspect 1/250 to be closer to 1/60, but tests will show over time what I can get away with.

And of course, for only about 125 pounds, including about 25 pounds of that for carriage from Russia, it's a real bargain of a camera... If you've ever ummed and arred about getting one, now's the time before Lomo takes over and the prices go up!

Terry S
A quick update.

I did a couple of test prints yesterday, which need a little bit of work on the next session = mostly due to a slight over-development of the film with ID11 I think, which has blocked up the highlights even at grade 1 on the paper. Next time I'll try 10% less of the time and see if that helps.

BUT, I'm am quite amazed by how sharp the actual pictures are, right the way across the paper, even on a full negative print of about 16" x 5"-ish.

Also, I have just read about the shutter speeds, on jeffridges.com, where he talks about a similar camera, and he says that, 'By my measurement with a stopwatch, it takes about 2.5 sec. for the camera to pan at the 1/15 sec. setting. Based on that measurement, it should take about 1/3 sec. to pan at 1/125 sec. and 1/6 sec. to pan at 1/250 sec.' So from this I am glad that I took the majority of my pictures on a sturdy tripod, but it will interesting to see how some come out from the handheld ones. In future, I think that I will use a sturdy monopod at the very least.

And as for Lomo, they do sell a couple of models and the one equivalent to mine, they are charging about £289.00 plus p/p for it. Compare this to the one that I bought direct from Russia (or whatever it's called now) for £99.00 plus p/p, and it becomes a real bargain in my eyes. And if I continue to get as much fun out of it as I have recently, it has been money well spent!

Terry S
Old 29th August 2019, 03:58 PM
Friend

Hi Terry-
The Horizon has two rotational speeds, Fast and slow.
Slow is almost exactly 5 seconds.
Fast I can't measure, but having watched it a few times I'm guessing it's about 1/2 second.
It produces the different exposures by warying the width of the slit through which light passes. If your using the higher speeds it is still absolutely possible to hand-hold, because although the turret might take half a second to spin round, the light falling on the film is such a narrow slice it is effectively like a faster exposure. I use mine hand-held regularly.
On the slow speed I do use a tripod, because with a five second rotation you could easily introduce some vertical 'wiggle'.
I did see some images made with intentional camera movement during exposure, but can't (of course) find them again to link to. Not really my thing, but if you were looking to experiment I suppose you could rotate the whole camera in the opposite direction to the turret, and produced 'squeezed' lansdcapes with tall skinny people in? Or, wiggle to camera to bend all the straight lines.
Should we have a contest??
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies