Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th November 2011, 01:00 PM
Friend

Default Cleaning DDS

What is your preferred method of cleaning and loading film folders to reduce dust contamination?
Old 6th November 2011, 03:39 PM
Friend

I first clean the surface I am going to use with a slightly damp clean cloth to try and minimise dirt and dust. I keep the darkslides in ziplock bags only getting them out to use ( load, shoot and process) so they are out of the ziplock for the minimum time.
I blower brush each slide before loading and place back into the ziplock. When I load, I roll my sleves up to keep the fibers from my clothes away from the slide, and try to wear something that is less likely to have loose fibers coming off.

I clean the slides with a blower brush and an Arctic Butterfly to pick up any persistant dust particles and occasionally wipe with pure alcohol.

Neil

Last edited by Neil Smith; 6th November 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 6th November 2011, 03:47 PM
Friend

I use a blower to clean mine in daylight and then use one of these pop-up changing tents to load them with. I know some don't get on with these tents but I find them exceptionally good for loading film once you get used to them.

cheers

Tony
Old 6th November 2011, 03:52 PM
Friend

Ive taken a damp cloth to 2nd hand DDS and when dry gave them a good going over with a clean 1'' paint brush to dislodge any dust, paying attention to the film and dark slide groves and importantly the opening where the DS slides into.

From then on in the DDS are always kept in one of the black plastic bags that come with 8x10 Ilford photo paper (6 to a bag). Before each film loading I brush out the holders with the same brush (away from my loading area). I always clean my loading area with a damp cloth and tap the sheet of film on the counter before loading as a further precaution against dust.

I've rarely experienced dust problems.

Just to add, Ive also used Methylated spirit to clean stubborn marks from DDS.

Last edited by kev curry; 6th November 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 6th November 2011, 04:10 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I use a paint brush kept just for the job and occasionally give them a going over with a Jessops mini Hoover thing intended for cleaning out cameras. I make sure I have bare arms inside the changing bag to avoid clothing fibres.

Never used bags for them but after reading this I probably will now.

Bill
Old 6th November 2011, 04:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
From then on in the DDS are always kept in one of the black plastic bags that come with 8x10 Ilford photo paper (6 to a bag)....
Good idea - I think like Bill I'll do that from now on.

btw - I've seen your profile picture somewhere else and I don't know where.

Tony
Old 6th November 2011, 05:01 PM
Friend

Tony I came across the picture a 'few' years or so ago via google image search. Could it be on the LFPF? So far no ones tried to do me for copyright infringement;-)

I found some really cheap (perfect fit) padded cooler bags that work well for protecting the bagged DDS when being transported in the rucksack.

Last edited by kev curry; 6th November 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 6th November 2011, 07:31 PM
Friend

My prefered method these days it to simply brush the film holders with a Pro-Co 2000 anti-static brush. Once the film is loaded in the holders I brush the emulsion side of the film with this brush and just before closing the dark slide I give them a quick burst of 'canned air'. Each DDS is stored in an A5 resealable cellophane bag.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th November 2011, 07:57 PM
Friend

Secondhand ones have been given a bit of a rub-down with a clean microfibre cloth, and then a good blow-out with a Giottos rocket blower thingy. New ones just a good blow-out - strangely I found even new Toyos (my favourites) do need a bit of a blow
I tend to load all my holders at once, so I prepare those by rocket-airing them and then placing into Lakeland cliplock boxes - I just leave the lid on loose and take the holder out when needed in the dark. I also don't take all the film out of the folded cardboard (just makes more sense . . why expose to stuff unecessarily?) I just get a sheet as I need it and load.
I forgot to mention that sleeves are always rolled up, and bizarrely (because I have dry skin) I rub my face and arms with a dry towel before I start
I've also mentioned elsewhere that I use an ioniser in my darkroom - before I did (thank you Barry Thornton) I had a number of dust problems, but not really any more.
This being said, last week whilst processing a sheet of Delta, I dropped it onto the flagstones of my darkroom floor, found it by feel, put it in the water pre-soak, took it out and dropped it wet and emulsion side down onto the flags again . . . it was fine! I'll put that down to the Dyson and the ioniser!
Phil
Old 6th November 2011, 09:52 PM
Friend

I stick the thin nozzle thing on the end of the hoover and give them a good going over. First doing the outside (so any dust on the outside of the slide doesn't get decanted into the holder when you pull it), then pull the slide and hoover out the inside, especially going round the grooves, lighttrap, and the hinge end. Then hoover the removed darkslide both sides, then it does back in, flip the whole thing over and start again. Then the entire unit goes into an individual ziplock back until loading (in one of the calumet tents). Seems to work well, except after hoovering out 19 holder I've generally given myself tinnitus.

I much prefer actually removing the dust with a hoover rather than just moving it around or back into the air with a blower. I only use a blower when on holiday and there isn't a hoover. Generally leaves me with a pumped right forearm though.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies