Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th September 2012, 10:16 AM
New User

Default Hello from Steve in Notts

Hi all.

Just a bit about me. I'm a true beginner at photography only getting interested within the last few weeks. Still not really sure what sparked it but I'm glad it's happened and already wish it was something I'd started long ago. It started with a sudden urge to dig out our Kiev 4 which my parents bought us not long after my lovely wife and I got married in 1978. It's in perfect working order as it was new when we got it and has hardly been used. I do remember not really knowing how to use it properly and what all the numbers meant and eventually giving up on it (this was years before the web when info was harder to find).

I now do understand how to use it and what the numbers mean I'm really interested mainly in black and white photography. I've always been fascinated by black and white photos even though I can't quite (yet anyway) put my finger on why. I'm in the process now of getting together what I need to do my own developing as this is part of the attraction for me. I'm very confused (what type of enlarger to get etc) but am hoping to find the answers here. I stumbled across this site looking for info on enlargers.

I've bought a couple of other cameras since digging the Kiev out, an Olympus XA (for carrying around all the time) and a Canon Canonet Q17 GIII. Then something happened which I still can't get over. Someone gave me a couple bags with old camera stuff. He said he didn't want anything for it and would probably end up binning it all as he can't be bothered with the hassle of selling it. Not of it had been used for years. He was just happy for it to go to someone who will use it. Anyway there were three cameras, a Canon A-1 with a power winder and a data back, a Canon AE-1 and a Minolta X-700 (with some other lenses and bits and bobs) all in exellent fully working condition. They look like they have hardly been used with no bangs or dings.

I've no interest in digital, not that there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't interest me. I also work in IT so spend enough time in front of computers as it is.

Anyway, sorry for rambling and looking forward to learning from all you knowledgable folk
Old 26th September 2012, 12:08 PM
Friend

Hi Steve - welcome on board.
Not sure if it's of use to you, but I've previously uploaded a copy of the Canonet manual to the Camera Manuals forum here:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=6224
Old 26th September 2012, 12:15 PM
New User

Hi Graham, thanks for the welcome. I'd already managed to find the manual, but thanks for the link anyway.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:49 PM
Friend

hello Steve,
welcome to FADU an excellent forum which will help you develop your capabilities in this beautiful craft. You are thinking of enlargers, does that mean you have a darkroom? Anyway, good luck, and see you on the forum.
Peter
Old 26th September 2012, 01:34 PM
Friend

Hi Steve and welcome to Fadu, plenty of help on here, If you are looking at enlargers it all depends what you want to do, and the biggest size negative you are likely to use, I suggest you look at SDS, one of our Sponsers, and see what is around, but whatever you decide bargain on getting the best lens you can, no matter how good the enlarger the final print is only as good as the lens,
Richard
Old 26th September 2012, 02:37 PM
Friend

Hi Steve and welcome. Looks like you have a lot of good cameras to try out.

As far as processing both film and prints, the key is, if possible, a dedicated a place to do it but this is not essential.

Lots of advice will be freely given here once we know that you are ready to start. Again your budget will help us to target the advice. A start can be made quite cheaply.

There are already a few threads and articles on setting up a darkroom - just do a search and have a "read around"

Mike
Old 26th September 2012, 02:53 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum, Steve!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 26th September 2012, 03:52 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU. As mentioned there is a lot of help here, I have recently had to seek advise, and received lots of helpful tips. Good luck in your search for an enlarger and in your renewed interest in photography, I hope you get as much pleasure from the interest as we all do here.
Old 26th September 2012, 05:09 PM
Friend

Welcome steve

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th September 2012, 06:37 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum, Steve I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies