Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th November 2019, 11:42 AM
Friend

Default Stainless steel Print Tongs - no more lost tips - tip!

I usually have several trays in use when I'm printing and in each tray is a stainless steel print tong, of the Kaiser type. But I have found these tongs eventually shed their soft plastic tips and it's a hell of job to find them once you have noticed they are missing. Some of them are even transparent!

So some years ago I started removing the soft plastic tips from new (they do pull off) and putting them back with a spot of super glue applied to the tip of each tong blade.

This is a very easy task do but make sure you have the grip part of the soft plastic tip/s facing where the paper will go.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th November 2019, 04:15 PM
Friend

Default Stainless tongs

I inherited 3 pairs of tongs none of which had a rubber top of any description. I made my own using silicone bathroom sealant with different colours for what I used them for. White for developer and black for stop/fix.

I always have a some in the garage so it cost me nothing. A blob about the size of a shirt button on each tip and squashed with finger to reduce the thickness and the tips kept apart for 24 hours. Bobs your aunty's husband. They have lasted like that for 15 years possibly more.

QED
Old 16th November 2019, 05:36 PM
Banned

Take a sheet of this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weldtite-Pu.../dp/B00JQN48BE

Cut the size needed to fold over the ends of the tongs and glue in place with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPELEK-Qui.../dp/B06XFQDXTR

works great
Old 17th November 2019, 02:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I inherited 3 pairs of tongs none of which had a rubber top of any description. I made my own using silicone bathroom sealant with different colours for what I used them for.
Hey Jon, you beat me to it. I was going to recommend the same!

I've used it for a number of projects. It's amazing stuff and very well priced too.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies