Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th October 2019, 02:10 PM
Friend

well, after opening it, everything looks very clean. So I don't know what it could be, a dead motor, a dried up broken rubber belt?.... Since I don't have an Ammeter to test, I will take it for repair. Thanks for your help
Old 17th October 2019, 08:00 PM
Friend

Alex,
I opened it, and it looks very clean everywhere. So, since the trigger works for the light meter but not for the motor, could be either the motor is dead, or the rubber belt has dried out and crumbled. Either way, I'm not gonna venture to touch it, this is beyond my capacities. All of the Nikkorex-8 cameras now on Ebay being sold "As Is", I have decided to take it to repair. This might take some time, and with no guarantee of success. I'll keep you informed in due time. Thanks a lot for your help.
Ruben
Old 17th October 2019, 09:21 PM
Friend

Hi Ruben. I’m sorry you couldn’t get it going. Perhaps it can be fixed economically if it was quick and easy to open up. It’s usually the time involved in dismantling cameras that pushes the repair cost up. The two I have were sold ‘as seen’, so I must have been lucky. I was tempted to buy one that’s on UK eBay just now for 99p, just to open it up. Apparently it’s motor works, but cosmetically it is horrible.
I hope you get it going, or find a working example.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 7th November 2019, 04:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Hi Ruben. I’m sorry you couldn’t get it going. Perhaps it can be fixed economically if it was quick and easy to open up. It’s usually the time involved in dismantling cameras that pushes the repair cost up. The two I have were sold ‘as seen’, so I must have been lucky. I was tempted to buy one that’s on UK eBay just now for 99p, just to open it up. Apparently it’s motor works, but cosmetically it is horrible.
I hope you get it going, or find a working example.
Alex

Hi Alex, I got the Nikkorex fixed for a reasonable price, and it is now working. I just have a question. When the exposure meter is closed (positioned on C) the lens diaphragm is wide open. Is this the way it should be? I would think the diaphragm should to be completely closed, no?
Old 7th November 2019, 04:31 PM
Friend

Hi Ruben.
I’ll have to look when I get home. The position locks the mechanism to avoid damage when the camera is being carried. I’ll check and report back later tonight.
Alex.

Old 7th November 2019, 09:54 PM
Friend

I’ve had a look. The diaphragm should be fully open at the C setting. Turning from C to M, it closes to its minimum, and opens as you continue to turn the dial, reaching maximum just before the A setting.
You have to be careful using the C setting. I forgot , and exposed part of a film thinking it was on A. It was heavily over exposed as a result.
Alex

Old 7th November 2019, 10:27 PM
Friend

Then everything is ok, my Nikkorex is now fully working, I can start shooting
Thanks a lot Alex.
Old 24th November 2019, 05:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I’ve had a look. The diaphragm should be fully open at the C setting. Turning from C to M, it closes to its minimum, and opens as you continue to turn the dial, reaching maximum just before the A setting.
You have to be careful using the C setting. I forgot , and exposed part of a film thinking it was on A. It was heavily over exposed as a result.
Alex

Hi Alex,
The Fomapan 100 B&W film I ordered just arrived. Based on your experience with the Nikkorex, any advice before I start shooting? Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 05:59 PM
Friend

That’s great, Ruben. I think you can load it up and start shooting. It’s a very simple camera to use, and easy to hold steady. Remember that the reversal film has a very limited latitude, so try to assess contrast in a scene, and aim for low contrast and even lighting. Unlike negative materials, exposure is normally biased towards any strong highlights, such as a bright sky. If you have used reversal materials in still cameras, you will know how to get the best exposures. Over exposure is to be avoided.
It’s a strange coincidence that you are in contact about movie cameras today. On Friday I received a really interesting new camera. It’s an Agfa Movexzoom for Standard 8 film. It appears to be in great condition, so I’m hoping to use it soon.
Good luck with your filming!
Alex.

Old 24th November 2019, 07:40 PM
Friend

Thank you
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies