Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th June 2017, 09:52 PM
Friend

Default how many do you print from a average roll of film

how many really good photos (your opinion)do you expect to get from a roll of film .I developed a roll of 35mm 36exp film last night and as only 4 were out of focus and not worth printing 21 were ok but I wont print them but 11 of them I liked very much and will print this weekend. is 11 out of 36 good or bad or average I have had better than that when I have taken photo at a resent family gathering I printed 28 out of 36exposures that I was pleased with and I have had bad rolls of film when I have struggled to get 1 print but this is very rare ,what is your average how many do you print from a roll of film ,I have used 35mm 36exp as an example as I shoot more 35mm than other neg sizes and this is how many frames I print from a roll of film ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 16th June 2017, 11:10 PM
Friend

Paul I'm quite envious. My shooting to printing ratio is quite lousey by comparison!

Perhaps it has something to do with me taking multiple exposures of the same scene

But hand on heart, I probably squeeze out an average printing ratio of 1 in 10. And I think this is an improvement on what it was. I'm now much more fussy about what I shoot and the light conditions that I'm shooting in. So my average has gone up.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th June 2017, 06:49 AM
Friend

Having shot LF for many years my strike rate is much higher in terms of successful shots per roll with 35mm or 120. The disciplines working with sheet film then inform your way of working with smaller formats so fewer spurious less relevant images.

However as the number of successful shots increases so also does your ultimate selectivity, I do't contact print as I've long been able to read a negative and know how it'll print.

There is another side, early in a project I'll print a higher proportion of the negatives, but as the project begins to gel and evolve and I set my final boundaries the choosing negatives for printing becomes more selective as in what will this bring to the whole project.

Now some of my projects have run for 5 years, 2.5 years, 1year, the shortest 2 days (a year apart). The 2 day project probably has. 1 in 3 strike rate (shot on 120) the others around 1 in 5.

Other projects are slower one has been ongoing for 31 years, another around 25, and my major current project is over a decade old. Location affects these timelines as some involve travel away from home.

Ian
Old 17th June 2017, 07:53 AM
Friend

There are usually many printable pictures, but my actual ratio is rather low. I never print immediately. I let the negatives sit for what can be weeks, months or even years and when I plan a printing session I flip through my digital contact sheets and usually a few jump out at me which fit a theme I'm in the mood for and I select about 5 for a printing session.

That does not apply for time-critical work, though, say, a christening, where the shoot-to-print ratio can be 1:2...
Old 17th June 2017, 05:50 PM
Friend

There are really good prints, printable prints and the number I print. All are different and increase in the order given above I still tend to want to print nearly all the negs just to remind myself of what I took.

On the other hand I also tend to be prudent with my shutter finger so that out of 36 each has to count which might explain why I want to print nearly all of them - even the "rescue jobs"

Mike
Old 17th June 2017, 09:27 PM
Friend

wherever I go I take a camera with me ,and what ever takes my eye I photograph ,so I can get through a few roll of 35mm or 120 on a good day ,I also take lots of family mostly grandkids ,I am a bit of a camera tart I love owning them and using them ,the other half of the fun is printing them up in my darkroom , if I go longer than a week not printing something in my darkroom I would go mad. I am looking about for a 5x4 camera,so I should guess that would slow me down a bit ..but as we know just because we don't want to print them now doesn't mean we wont print them in the future ,its amazing what 20 plus years can do for a neg I am still printing negatives I didn't want to print in the 1970s .. it been about 46 years since I started taking photos and I still love it ,I know I am nowhere near been at it as long as some on here ,But as Eric Morecombe used to say They can,t touch you for it .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 18th June 2017, 01:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
how many really good photos (your opinion)do you expect to get from a roll of film .I developed a roll of 35mm 36exp film last night and as only 4 were out of focus and not worth printing 21 were ok but I wont print them but 11 of them I liked very much and will print this weekend. is 11 out of 36 good or bad or average I have had better than that when I have taken photo at a resent family gathering I printed 28 out of 36exposures that I was pleased with and I have had bad rolls of film when I have struggled to get 1 print but this is very rare ,what is your average how many do you print from a roll of film ,I have used 35mm 36exp as an example as I shoot more 35mm than other neg sizes and this is how many frames I print from a roll of film ...

www.essexcockney.com
Just out of curiosity, what size paper do you generally print on Paul?

I make 8"x10" test prints on chopped down 20"x16" paper before making the full size print. At this size, any flaws show up so they won't get printed if there are any defects.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 18th June 2017, 03:23 PM
Friend

I think I need to put a lot more effort into printing my images. We are getting rid of some furniture next weekend so I can set up a new darkroom. This should be at a more pain free height than the bathroom but I'm going to have to use a washing up bowl for the initial rinse as there will be no running water. At the ratio is more how many rolls to a print, rather than prints to roll.
Old 18th June 2017, 03:41 PM
Friend

In my case is which ones do I not bother to scan. If it is a test run of a camera then only real duds get missed.If they are from a particular event then probably most them.
The nice thing about scanning before printing is one can take ones time and really study the better ones to print.
Old 18th June 2017, 10:04 PM
Friend

I don't make too many prints from a roll of film, my darkroom time is too limited, and I wouldn't know what to do with them all. I'm quite critical when deciding which to print and initially only chose the images which stand out as both interesting and well exposed, which might be as little as six from a 36 exp roll. My print rate with larger negatives is much higher, as I tend to use medium format with more care and for specific projects, so most of the images are significant.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies