Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st October 2019, 07:23 PM
Friend

Default Semi stand developement

I thought for my first post I would share a process I use for 35mm.
You require two reels to develop one film in a paterson tank. The film is loaded into the top reel. The bottom one is left empty. This allows used chemical to fall and collect below the film and ensures even processing.
Dilution is 1:130 in Rodinal.
Time 1 hour.
Agitation - first 20 seconds constant.
1st 10 minutes 3 inversions.
2nd 10 minutes 2 inversions
3rd 10 minutes 1 inversion
4th 10 minutes 1 inversion
Last 20 minutes 0 inversions.
Fix as normal. No presoak required.
I hope this is of interest to someone.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:09 PM
Friend

I have never heard of this technique, but I take it there is sufficient volume of chemicals in the tank to cover both reels? I have read that increasing the volume of developer per film is a good idea, allowing plenty of fresh developer to reach the film during the development time. I hadn’t understood that the exhausted chemical sinks to the bottom of the tank, which I presume is the theory behind this approach. Did you read about it, or was it recommended by someone?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st October 2019, 09:34 PM
Friend

Hi Rory, I also have a few questions;

Why only 35mm and not 120?
Which film or does the iso or brand not make any difference?
What do you feel is the advantage of stand development over 'regular' development?
And do you happen to have any examples?

Many thanks.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st October 2019, 10:19 PM
Friend

Looking at the original post again, I should clarify that I have heard of ‘stand’ and ‘semi-stand’ development, and I have tried both. The bit I am not familiar with is loading a full reel above an empty one.
For what it’s worth, I didn’t really see any particular advantage to these techniques, although some people swear by them. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. I tend to stick to the simple methods, normally the manufacturers recommendation, with timings adjusted to suit.
Alex

Old 21st October 2019, 11:27 PM
Friend

Rory, reading this at face value the reel with film is only covered with the developer for the few seconds of the inversion and possibly the drain time. This must surely amount to only a tiny portion the hour. Given that normal stand leaves the film reel constantly immersed in developer albeit in a "non agitated" developer for a large part of the full hour I am amazed at how this develops the film?

One other question: If the ratio is 1:130 what is the amount of Rodinal needed? Most sources I have read on the subject suggest that 5-6ml is the minimum per film so that's about 900ml of liquid at 1:130. This would require a massive tank to leave the top reel with film free of developer?

It may be that I have misunderstood what you have said so clarification would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:59 AM
Friend

Hi guys my fault for not being clear.
Stand development obviously requires the film to stand in the developer for the full hour. So you will need to fill it to cover the top film. The used chemicals fall to the bottom of the tank and cannot effect the film. If you load the film with only one reel as normal the film would be effected by the used chemicals as its standing and not being mixed as it would in normal development. It would be sitting in exhausted chemicals creating uneven development. The ratio of 1:130 is 1 part chemical to 130 parts of water. This means the the chemicals are fully exhausted once the hour is complete. I have tried the technique with 120 film and the results are not the same so I stick to 35mm with this technique. The advantage of the method is it works for any film any ASA and it helps retain detail if your exposures are a bit hit and miss. The chemical ratios don't change for film type nor does the time.
Technically the areas with more emulation (highlights) exhaust the developer quite quickly and the thin areas (shadows) continue to develop while the highlights do not. The advantage is you can retain detail and micro contrast in the shadows lost in normal development. The Grain is also finer. The technique was developed in 1880 so its nothing new. However getting it right does take a lot of experimentation. Hence I posted it here to save people the effort.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:49 AM
Friend

Thanks, Rory. That makes sense. I may have another go with it, trying your technique.
Alex

Old 22nd October 2019, 10:57 AM
Friend

I used to shoot everything on a 5x4 Sinar P2 so I used the Ansel Adams Zone system. However each sheet of film has to be developed according to the exposure. In this process you expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights. Hence each sheet is processed for a different time. I still shoot sheet film on my Rolleicord V but I needed a more forgiving method for 35mm. You can't use the Zone system on 35mm unless you use multiple bodies. The stand development does help to some degree overcome latitude in different scenes. Nothing can work as well as controlling the exposure and processing to known values. To achieve full control does require a sequence of testing to establish all the relavent exposures and times.

Old 22nd October 2019, 02:20 PM
Friend

Rory- what the amount of Rodinal you use in this process for 35mm film only?

Thanks

Mike
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Rory- what the amount of Rodinal you use in this process for 35mm film only?

Thanks

Mike
It's 1 part Rodinal to 130 parts water. It depends on your tank size. My tank takes 655cc to cover both reels. So I mix 5ml Rodinal to 650ml of water. I use a small syringe to measure the Rodinal as its such a small quantity. Your Rodinal lasts a long time as you use so little.
With normal processing most of the chemical you pour away after processing a film is unused. With the stand development and high delution method 100% of the chemical is used. So technically if you left it in the tank 1 1/2 hours it wouldn't continue to process.
I use the app Massive Dev. By digital truth. It's a timer and it has a conversion chart for chemicals. You can program it to your own times and dilutions.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies