Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st October 2019, 04:40 PM
Friend

Default Fotospeed liquid emulsion anyone used it?

Has anyone coated 1/4 plate size glass with liquid emulsion and exposed it in daylight outdoors, experiences please?
Old 31st October 2019, 05:01 PM
Banned

That sounds interesting that IS something I would like to try

http://www.fotospeed.com/media/Instr...0sgl%20sht.pdf

Old 31st October 2019, 06:43 PM
Friend

I have not used it on glass but on art paper I found if you follow the instructions precisely (I used the FotoSpeed product) you will get a result. I used a brush for coating and applied two coats to obtain a good cover and a slight contrast boost.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st October 2019, 07:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I have not used it on glass but on art paper I found if you follow the instructions precisely (I used the FotoSpeed product) you will get a result. I used a brush for coating and applied two coats to obtain a good cover and a slight contrast boost.

Neil.
What strikes me as a possibility is using the liquid emulsion to produce the kind of picture on canvas that is tacked onto a wooden frame a la a painting to hang on a wall. I have only ever seen these done in inkjet using digital files or presumably a scanner but I have never been sure if it is canvas or some kind of art paper similar to what you use Neil. If there is an art paper or something similar that is strong enough to be tacked to the sides of a wooden frame to form a picture then you'd have a successful analogue alternative.

I suppose that if there is an art canvas surface then this would be ideal

Mike
Old 31st October 2019, 07:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
What strikes me as a possibility is using the liquid emulsion to produce the kind of picture on canvas that is tacked onto a wooden frame a la a painting to hang on a wall. I have only ever seen these done in inkjet using digital files or presumably a scanner but I have never been sure if it is canvas or some kind of art paper similar to what you use Neil. If there is an art paper or something similar that is strong enough to be tacked to the sides of a wooden frame to form a picture then you'd have a successful analogue alternative.

I suppose that if there is an art canvas surface then this would be ideal

Mike
Mike,

We are talking about liquid emulsion on glass here so this is a bit off-topic but since you have asked - you can use liquid emulsion on more or less anything provided it can survive the normal wet process.

With paper you need to use a hot-pressed paper such as Fabriano Artisico HP which will not fall apart during the normal wet process. There are many other HP papers of course - but I use Fabriano HP.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st October 2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Mike,

We are talking about liquid emulsion on glass here so this is a bit off-topic but since you have asked - you can use liquid emulsion on more or less anything provided it can survive the normal wet process.

With paper you need to use a hot-pressed paper such as Fabriano Artisico HP which will not fall apart during the normal wet process. There are many other HP papers of course - but I use Fabriano HP.

Neil.
That's what it says in the PDF I posted, will try it
Old 1st November 2019, 09:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
That's what it says in the PDF I posted, will try it

There are other Hot Pressed (HP) papers that are worth trying but Fabriano HP is a good one.

There should be no problem with passing glass through the various chemicals as long as the dried emulsion stays put. It may be worth following the advice for ceramics (as a starting point) if glass is not covered in the instructions.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st November 2019, 09:29 AM
Banned

I get very very bored, for reasons known, I achieve what I try then move on

THIS really is going to be something I try on patterned glass, that bumpy, textured stuff, cloth, metal etc, so, will be a while, get paid in a month so I "WILL" get some and see what happens

I just hope I don't end up throwing it out of the window.................. YES it happens

Last edited by Anon01; 1st November 2019 at 09:33 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies