Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st February 2020, 03:25 PM
Friend

I have just bought a packet of x-ray film should be coming next week ,its cost me £20 and I get a hundred sheets ,from that I can get three hundred 4x5 sheets and one hundred 2inch strips left over, so it works out ,not a lot a shot ,now how successful all this will turn out who knows . my oldest grandson is looking forward to using some as I have told him he can develop it and see it developing under the red light ,also for some reason he thinks its very cool to use xray film
Old 21st February 2020, 04:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have just bought a packet of x-ray film should be coming next week
Who's the supplier of your X-ray film?
I would like to play.....
Old 21st February 2020, 04:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
thanks Terry ,I have been looking on ebay and all I can find is this Fujifilm IX 80 Nif Industrial X-ray Film 17.8x43.2cm X100 Sheets X Ray all for £25 ,having no idea what I am looking at doesn't help ,also can you cut film to size ,if so I could get 400 4x5 sheets from the box .
Quote:
I have just bought a packet of x-ray film should be coming next week ,its cost me £20 and I get a hundred sheets ,from that I can get three hundred 4x5 sheets and one hundred 2inch strips left over, so it works out ,not a lot a shot...my oldest grandson is looking forward to using some as I have told him he can develop it and see it developing under the red light ,also for some reason he thinks its very cool to use xray film
400 sheets is the correct amount Paul, as you first said, so more film for your money!

And although I haven't used mine yet either, I'm with your grandson in thinking it's cool to be able to use x-ray film! It must have something to do with the ads for x-ray glasses and goodies and baddies being able to see through walls etc. that I used to see regularly in comic books years ago.

Terry S
Old 21st February 2020, 04:45 PM
Friend

And can anyone tell me a GOOD reason why x-ray film (which is often double sided with emulsion) is SO MUCH CHEAPER than the photo versions that we all use?

There has to be a GOOD reason... surely? Or are we just used to paying extra, just because...?

Terry S
Old 21st February 2020, 05:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And can anyone tell me a GOOD reason why x-ray film (which is often double sided with emulsion) is SO MUCH CHEAPER than the photo versions that we all use?

There has to be a GOOD reason... surely? Or are we just used to paying extra, just because...?

Terry S
I would have thought that two factors will be that it has no need to be fine grain because it is not intended to be enlarged, it does not need to capture nuances of tone and it does not need a full spectrum response.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
Old 21st February 2020, 05:25 PM
Friend

hi Jim I bought it from ebay have been looking a little while and found this Fujifilm IX 100 Nif Industrial X-ray Film 17.8x43.2cm X100 Sheets X Ray film , all I can say is you just have to keep on looking till some turns up ...Terry I am a bit worried ,its going to be a bit of a let down for my grandkid ,in the back of his mind I think he thinks we are going to get xrays of skeletons ,I have told him otherwise ,but we will see .he is starting to like taking photos and doing a bit of work in the darkroom ,and its his birthday soon and he has asked me to get him a camera ,so the brainwashing is working.
Old 21st February 2020, 05:40 PM
Friend

I have found so far 3 different types of x-ray film there's double sided type standard xrays , there's mammogram film that's single sided and there's industrial xray film that I think some is one sided and some is double sided ,not to sure on that ..
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Terry I am a bit worried ,its going to be a bit of a let down for my grandkid ,in the back of his mind I think he thinks we are going to get xrays of skeletons ,I have told him otherwise ,but we will see
I'd maybe be inclined to find a skeleton image, or even just a skull on google and print it out, so that you can contact print it for him.

Quote:
I have found so far 3 different types of x-ray film there's double sided type standard xrays , there's mammogram film that's single sided and there's industrial xray film that I think some is one sided and some is double sided ,not to sure on that ..
Ah, I didn't know that there were so many different ones. I have had it in my head that mine is double sided, but with the sunnier weather coming in, I'll be cutting some up for my pinholes, and then finally find out!

Terry S
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post

Terry S
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmargetts View Post
I would have thought that two factors will be that it has no need to be fine grain because it is not intended to be enlarged, it does not need to capture nuances of tone and it does not need a full spectrum response.
All good points John. And on top of everything, there is advertising etc. which doesn't come cheap!

Terry S
Old 26th February 2020, 11:24 PM
Friend

it came this morning and I cut some down to 4x5 ,and shot 3 sheets they came out very very contrasty ,I have not made any prints from them yet .I developed the film in Ilford paper developer ,I made at 1 in 9 but I think that was to high I think it should have been 1 in 100 but I will try that tomorrow and I have ordered some rodinal film developer ,that is very popular with the xray shooters and they dilute it 1 in 100 so I will have another go when that comes from AG Photographic .I have had some great fun seeing the image appear before my very eyes ,and I will take some outside tomorrow if it don't rain .its all existing stuff ..
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies