Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Skills Swapping

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th December 2011, 02:46 PM
Friend

In as much as sharing has been done digitally through the advancements of technology, I still believe that things will be a lot better and easier at that should there be printed copies.

It seems to have lost its touch because people now prefer to view them through computers, which undeniably has its advantages but to be able to have it wherever you go, you must go with print.
Old 25th February 2012, 06:57 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Are we not in danger of being a bit precious about the D/R Print?

A good print IMO is a good print and the content and its context is as important as the quality. I certainly prefer good prints (especially B&W) to projected or screen images.

I use the darkroom for very pragmatic reason that I have a lot invested, financially and emotionally, in the equipment which I do not have nor wish to have in computers........AND I actually enjoy being in the darkroom - more so than in the days when I worked and had more family committments. Also I suspect that I actually like that it has become more of a minority activity.
Mike
Old 25th February 2012, 09:35 PM
Friend

Default YMG member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchK View Post
The members of Lancashire Monochrome always appreciate seeing silver gelatin prints and a number, including myself, still make our images exclusively this way. I'm very willing to host print viewing at our venue in Leyland, Lancashire, where we have ample racking and a good-sized illuminated easel plus, of course, that appreciative audience.
I am quite near & would be interested.
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:55 PM
Friend

It's a long time since starting this thread but its not been forgotten.
We think it would be a good opportunity for this Print Meeting by incorporating it in with the London meeting on Saturday 17th August.
Venue will be at the Travel Lodge at Tower Bridge at 18:30 for 19:00 please see http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/3...el/rooms-rates
I suggest that you bring no more than 6-8 mounted prints rather than a pile of old unmounted ones, seeing prints presented mounted as they would be presented in an exhibition much enhances the visual experience, plus they are much better for handling

Please try to come along and all FADU members will be very welcome.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 24th January 2013, 08:24 PM
Friend

Ah, the pains of living in the Antipodes. Apart from the FADU print exchanges, I see very few.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
It's a long time since starting this thread but its not been forgotten.
We think it would be a good opportunity for this Print Meeting by incorporating it in with the London meeting on Saturday 17th August.
Venue will be at the Travel Lodge at Tower Bridge at 18:30 for 19:00 please see http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/3...el/rooms-rates
I suggest that you bring no more than 6-8 mounted prints rather than a pile of old unmounted ones, seeing prints presented mounted as they would be presented in an exhibition much enhances the visual experience, plus they are much better for handling

Please try to come along and all FADU members will be very welcome.
J.
Not had any interest or response about the above apart from Stan in New Zealand, thanks Stan. Is anyone in the UK apart from the diehards attending the London weekend interested in the photographic print?
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"

Last edited by Jon Butler; 23rd April 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:54 PM
Friend

Another way of viewing prints is through the 'Print Exchange' although they are only 8 x 10, it is still nice to receive one in the post. I can't help but notice that several of the more established members of FADU no longer participate in this activity. I wonder why?

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 24th April 2013, 04:56 AM
Friend

Not being able to join the party in London doesn't mean I am not interested in the photographic print, but the opportunity to sit and share our prints with others can I am sure for many of us be logistically very difficult for time and location reasons. I am therefore in full agreement with Vincent with regards to the "Print Exchange" it is a great opportunity to see how others express their art and also to see papers that you have not used, I have not always in the past been able to join in because of other pressures on my time, but now that my circumstances have changed I hope to join in every future print exchange. I also plan to join the group in Peterborough to which I will take along some of my prints to share if time allows. So yes I am very interested in the photographic print
Regards
Richard
Old 24th April 2013, 08:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Another way of viewing prints is through the 'Print Exchange' although they are only 8 x 10, it is still nice to receive one in the post. I can't help but notice that several of the more established members of FADU no longer participate in this activity. I wonder why?
I got married and busy, now I'm building out, or having built out, our basement which will finally house a permanent darkroom with plumbing, but even so ran into a delay in the form of my friend who is doing most of the work is moving away - he'll come back to finish my job but right now is building his own house in his new location. That's a lot of things conspiring one way or another to slow down my participation, but I do plan to be back.

I've also enjoyed last year participating in the Large Format Photography Forum exchange. For those who shoot LF this is good because prints can be and usually are up to 11x14 and you get either nine (last year) or 11 (this year) other prints, at the expense of having to make a batch of 10 (last year) or 12 (this year) prints yourself, once a year. Other forums also have exchanges that work under various rules. FADUs seems to be the best for spurring regular but not onerous printing. When things are settled down I can usually manage to knock out at least one finished print per month.
Old 24th April 2013, 09:38 AM
Friend

Much as I enjoy looking at prints, and take every chance I get to do so, Jersey is a long and very expensive way from London, but like Vincent, I find the Print exchange on Fadu a great way of both getting together a small but growing collection of prints, and seeing the photographic world as others do, and will take part in as many rounds as I can.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies