Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2019, 06:14 PM
longhouselife

Default Ilford Series...

Without wishing to start WWIII

https://youtu.be/MKiKyLzMwlk
Old 14th February 2019, 06:49 PM
Friend

AT LAST! A teenager who can actually string more than 3 words together without a grunt to be head.. I cannot understand what he's saying but in his own language it will maker sense
Old 14th February 2019, 06:59 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
AT LAST! ... cannot understand what he's saying but in his own language it will maker sense
There are english subtitles..!
Old 14th February 2019, 07:13 PM
Friend

I enjoyed that, although I wasn’t too sure about him ‘stalking’ the old lady near the start. I have a book by an author called Blaker that shows the best way to use a concealed Rollieflex. You hang it inside a large overcoat, out of sight.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th February 2019, 07:33 PM
Friend

Thanks for the link. It is certainly clear to which age group Ilford is aiming at and quite rightly so for its own future. It probably has to be the teens/early twenties group. The early middle-agers(30-50) are likely to be a lost cause and the "boys of the old brigade" are captive but dying as each year passes.

Yes he did seem more articulate than most you see on YouTube and quietly understated as well. He was easy to listen to.

The problem Ilford has and it has alluded to this in the past is that it's a generation of scanners, facebookers and instagramers who may have a limited or even no interest in printing via the analogue way

I feel that film, if it lasts, will certainly have a longer life than paper and its associated chemicals and hardware. This I think is more serious for the likes of Ilford than most of those who see a revival in film in the flimsiest of signs perhaps realise

Mike

Mike
Old 14th February 2019, 09:00 PM
Friend

Mike, perhaps I am by nature an optimist, but I see the lasting allure of film photography as being the domain of those who consider themselves artists, or have a desire to practise a creative craft. That element of creating something in an artistic manner is lost in the digital realm. People like this want to be engaged with their media -- in this case, holding a real roll of film in their hands, loading it into their camera, developing the film, anticipating what the negs will look like, printing in the wet darkroom (or at least scanning and printing), etc.... For that reason I don't see film photography as ever fully disappearing. No art form ever truly dies out, especially not one like this which is still practised by hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people worldwide. There will always be a supply of materials to feed the demand.

As for Ilford and their film series, this version pretty much reinforces all I said about the previous one we discussed here. It's the young who will keep these companies going, and good on Ilford for recognizing that and tapping into their sensibilities. I follow them on Twitter, and they do a great job connecting with their customers -- they are very active on social media, and do some innovative stuff. Contrast that to other firms, and there is a distinct difference. I don't see Kodak having that kind of push with their marketing (if it marketing by Big Yellow exists at all...at least I haven't seen it). In the long run this looks good on Ilford...well done!

Svend

Last edited by Svend; 14th February 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 15th February 2019, 11:15 AM
Friend

I enjoyed that short film and hopefully it inspires the younger generation
Old 15th February 2019, 01:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
Without wishing to start WWIII

https://youtu.be/MKiKyLzMwlk
I think you'll be safe with posting this link.

I must say I like this video (is it still called that?) much more than the first that we all talked about, and there were even a few good pictures shown as well. I think I might go in search of his Instagram page.

Terry S
Old 15th February 2019, 01:26 PM
Friend

Terry as we know, there are some great new young film photographers out there and they print ,I follow a lot on twitter
Old 15th February 2019, 01:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Terry as we know, there are some great new young film photographers out there and they print ,I follow a lot on twitter
Not one for all the various versions of forums not directly connected to photography. I find I spend a lot of time on just two of them already but may occasionally pop into Twitter to check out Ilford's bit.

So are there maybe one or two peeps worth checking out that you would recommend for a newbie and very occasional user on Twitter?

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies