Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th July 2020, 03:32 PM
Friend

Default Malefic cameras

I just came across this site (thanks to a question on the Large Format Photography group on Facebook). A new name to me but with some interesting looking cameras all done using 3-D printing technology.

https://www.maleficwares.com/shop
Old 26th July 2020, 05:35 PM
Friend

I came across this one the other day... the Fold Camera
https://www.foldcamera.com/about-me-2

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 27th July 2020, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
I just came across this site (thanks to a question on the Large Format Photography group on Facebook). A new name to me but with some interesting looking cameras all done using 3-D printing technology.

https://www.maleficwares.com/shop
A quick look on the site says they are printed using PLA+ plastic. Given that standard PLA starts to go soft at 40c (even in the UK, inside a car can easily exceed that in summer sun) and the only PLA+ I could find quickly says its plastic-point is 50c, I would be concerned without seeing some reliable test results. If that is not an issue then 3d printing seems a good use for such relatively low volume, high value items.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Given that standard PLA starts to go soft at 40c (even in the UK, inside a car can easily exceed that in summer sun) and the only PLA+ I could find quickly says its plastic-point is 50c, I would be concerned without seeing some reliable test results.
The spec also includes PET-G, which is rigid and competes with polycarbonate for strength at room temperature. So it depends on which components are made of what.
Old 28th July 2020, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
The spec also includes PET-G, which is rigid and competes with polycarbonate for strength at room temperature. So it depends on which components are made of what.
Yes, I noticed that, but only some I looked at were available in PETG and the couple I looked at were out of stock. Certainly PETG should be fine for this purpose, although you generally don't get as good a finish as PLA, it is as you say, very strong and has a higher plastic softening point (around 80c IIRC) but I would give the PLA versions a wide berth.

They do give operating and storage instructions for the PLA versions of a max 50C, but I'm not sure most people would realise the consequences of exceeding that temperature for any time.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies