Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Ask Les

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st August 2010, 08:15 PM
Friend

Default Lee-Filters for B&W?

Hi Les,

What are your views on using neutral density graduated filters to help control the contrast of bright skies with B&W film?
I have not considered this before, but was thinking that it could be a useful tool to use.
For example, a standard U.V or sky-light filter on the lens, along with a Lee-Filter holder with the chosen strength ND filter and possibly a Lee deep yellow and polarising filter to help add drama.

Last edited by Keith Tapscott.; 31st August 2010 at 08:25 PM.

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***

Old 1st September 2010, 09:08 AM
Friend

Hi Keith, I am a big fan of filters and would suggest you consider increasing the range of filters you mention in your post. I carry Yellow, Orange, Red, Green, Polarising, and three graduated, 1, 2 and 3 stop ND filters. My experience is that with careful use of the filters my negatives have allowed me to convey in the final print my viualisation at the point of exposure. The Red and Green filters are the two least used but can be very useful in certain instances, for example, increasing contrast in a woodland subject by lightening the leaves with a green filter. Darkening lips in a female portrait, again with a green filter.

I use Cromatek filters that I've had for years but don't use the Cromatek holder, I prefer a home made holder that I'll photograph and post on the forum.
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:01 AM
Friend

Thanks Les, I will consider a wider range of filters.
Do you have any particular favourite filter combinations that you use most of the time depending on the scene or subject?
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:01 PM
Friend

Hi Keith, I use the graded ND filters quite a lot in the landscape to equalise the sky and foreground densities. I also tend to use the orange filter to add contrast to those skies that have good strong clouds with lots of blue between them. I'm very sparing with the Polarising filter especially in places like the South West of the USA, it's very easy to overdo it especially when using colour material.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

***   Please note: this is the ASK LES forum   ***
***   Only Les McLean and the original poster may post in this thread   ***
***   Anyone else posting into this thread will have their post deleted   ***