Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th March 2017, 07:32 PM
Friend

Despite being mainly a landscape photographer with a real liking for photographs by Fay Godwin, John Blakemore, Paul Hill etc, I have decided to opt for five photographs of people. The reason? Well, they all have a wonderful humanity about them, and comment on the human condition in a way that even the best landscape photographs can't quite manage.

1. Sunday on The Banks of the Marne, 1936, by Henri Cartier Bresson.

2. Ivor Brock rescuing a lamb in a blizzard, Dolton, Devon, 1978, by James Ravillious.

3. Percy and Alice Shaxton, No Place, Ebberley, Devon, 1975, by James Ravillious.

4. Rainstorm, Connemara 1970, by Richard Fitzgerald.

For my 5th. I nearly opted for Gypsy Family, Extremadura, Spain, 1965, by Irving Penn. I have always been drawn to this, but it is rather bleak. So I have opted for
The Whistle, Co. Kerry, 1970, by Richard Fitzgerald, a much more optimistic picture, which always makes me smile.

Richard Fitzgerald's pictures can be found in his wonderful book, Vanishing Ireland. I only discovered him fairly recently.
James Ravillious has been my favourite photographer for a long time.
And everyone, of course, knows about HCB.

Alan
Old 16th March 2017, 08:45 PM
Friend

Some nice choices Alan.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:46 AM
Friend

That's almost impossible to choose five single images. Where to start? I respect and admire so many photographers, and each have many photographs I'd love to own.

But if I were to describe what I would choose to hang on the walls in my home, I'm on the same page as Alan. I rarely photograph people, but I find those who do it well earn my greatest respect, and their work moves me the most. Some images that strike me would at first appear very ordinary and uninteresting, until one understands the back story to them. Take Dorothea Lange's images of the dust bowl migrant farm families -- there's a very ordinary-looking photo called "The Road West", which at first glance is really nothing special, until you get the meaning behind it. Check it out in the context of the rest of the collection and you'll see what I mean.

Another example -- when I saw Gordon Park's work at an exhibition last year at the Art Gallery of Ontario, I was nearly knocked over. Incredible work. A natural talent. But you have to see the images as a collection to really get their impact.

So, a couple of specific images, and some general admiration:

- Walk to Paradise Garden, by W. Eugene Smith -- one of my favourites of all time.

- Red Jackson, by Gordon Parks -- the one where he's looking out the broken window

- Robert Doisneau, pretty much most of his photos...so full of whimsy, humour and love of humanity.

- White Horse in a Dead Valley, by Dorothea Lange -- again, you need to know the story behind it.

- Cartier-Bresson, ditto what I said about Doisneau

Honourable mention to Fay Godwin (her Scottish landscapes was the first book of photography I ever bought).

Interesting question you've posed, Andy. Good one! Very thought provoking.

Svend
Old 17th March 2017, 08:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
- Robert Doisneau, pretty much most of his photos...so full of whimsy, humour and love of humanity.
Svend
I'd forgotten I have a Doisneau print

I have a couple from members here Bill Spears and Stu Batchelor (well actually two of Stu's -one's an image of me_camera shooting in Cornwall.

Ian
Old 17th March 2017, 10:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
That's almost impossible to choose five single images. Where to start? I respect and admire so many photographers, and each have many photographs I'd love to own.

Svend
I agree. I chose five photographs, but would probably choose another five on a different day, in a different mood.
I didn't choose too many big names because I was thinking about how much it is going to cost Silverphoton to buy us all the photographs we have picked...

Alan
Old 18th March 2017, 03:33 AM
Friend

Quote:

But if I were to describe what I would choose to hang on the walls in my home, I'm on the same page as Alan. I rarely photograph people, but I find those who do it well earn my greatest respect, and their work moves me the most. Some images that strike me would at first appear very ordinary and uninteresting, until one understands the back story to them. Take Dorothea Lange's images of the dust bowl migrant farm families -- there's a very ordinary-looking photo called "The Road West", which at first glance is really nothing special, until you get the meaning behind it. Check it out in the context of the rest of the collection and you'll see what I mean.

Another example -- when I saw Gordon Park's work at an exhibition last year at the Art Gallery of Ontario, I was nearly knocked over. Incredible work. A natural talent. But you have to see the images as a collection to really get their impact.

So, a couple of specific images, and some general admiration:

- Walk to Paradise Garden, by W. Eugene Smith -- one of my favourites of all time.

- Red Jackson, by Gordon Parks -- the one where he's looking out the broken window

- White Horse in a Dead Valley, by Dorothea Lange -- again, you need to know the story behind it.

- Cartier-Bresson, ditto what I said about Doisneau

Honourable mention to Fay Godwin (her Scottish landscapes was the first book of photography I ever bought).

Interesting question you've posed, Andy. Good one! Very thought provoking.

Svend
I know five was a little restrictive but feel free to add more, remember you have unlimited virtual funds! Some nice image choices there Svend.
Old 18th March 2017, 03:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I'd forgotten I have a Doisneau print

I have a couple from members here Bill Spears and Stu Batchelor (well actually two of Stu's -one's an image of me_camera shooting in Cornwall.

Ian
You're quite the collector on the quiet Ian.
Old 18th March 2017, 03:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
I agree. I chose five photographs, but would probably choose another five on a different day, in a different mood.
I didn't choose too many big names because I was thinking about how much it is going to cost Silverphoton to buy us all the photographs we have picked...

Alan
You can choose as many as you like, ignore the cost, we have unlimited virtual funds! Tell you what Alan, I'll get this round you get the next.
Old 18th March 2017, 09:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverphoton View Post
You can choose as many as you like, ignore the cost, we have unlimited virtual funds! Tell you what Alan, I'll get this round you get the next.
Andy, no problem. As a Yorkshireman I'm happy to buy a virtual round anytime.

Alan
Old 19th March 2017, 09:27 AM
Friend

Do they have to be real photographs, or can they be out of a film? If it's the latter I'd love to have the photographs out of "Blow Up" due to a family connection. My mother's cousin, Edward Bond, wrote the screenplay.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies