Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th June 2019, 01:20 PM
Friend

Default Return of Acros as Acros II?

I hope this isn't premature but it appears that Fuji has announced the return of Acros in 35mm and 120 in the form of Acros II from August. I have not seen the Fuji announcement but it would seem that a translation from Japanese is being quoted which suggests( I'll put it no stronger) that it may be genuine. There was also a picture of a 35mm Fuji film box that had Acros II on it

I'd like confirmation from Fuji or at least from users based in Japan that this is a genuine Fuji announcement. Of late I have been involved in a discussion on Photrio that has made me very sceptical about the whole world of who makes what films but I'll say no more about that.

However on balance it would seem sensible to mention it.

Mike
Old 10th June 2019, 01:27 PM
Friend

Mike, this is interesting news, and if true, would be really great. I quite like Acros for certain scenes. It has a clarity to it that is wonderful. And when developed in dilute Perceptol (1+1) I think it is the sharpest film I have ever used. Cross fingers that the rumour is true, and that it is the same or better than the original.
Old 10th June 2019, 06:36 PM
Friend

I do hope this is true and that the new film is close to the old one. I bought a fridgefull when I heard it was going but my stocks are almost gone now. It's a lovely film although it doesn't work well with every subject. I really like it in Rodinal / R09 at 1:50 13.5 minutes at 20degC although It's nice in ID11 1+1 too. It's main downside IME is that the emulsion is very soft when wet so needs more care than some films. It will be interesting to see if the new film solves that.
Old 10th June 2019, 06:40 PM
Administrator

See here

Some good news from Fuji for once
Old 11th June 2019, 08:30 AM
Friend

Default Acros II

Let's hope this is true and the 'new' film retains its lack of reciprocity failure.
Paul
Old 13th June 2019, 02:54 PM
Friend

I think I have seen something on this recently. If I remember correctly, they are going to try it on the home market only for the time being, with a wider marked after review.
Old 13th June 2019, 03:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
I think I have seen something on this recently. If I remember correctly, they are going to try it on the home market only for the time being, with a wider marked after review.
Yes, that sounds correct from what I have now also gathered. Although logically unless all the user demand for its return has been identified by Fuji as largely from Japan it would seem to make sense to expand sales into other parts of the world.

Mike
Old 14th June 2019, 02:00 PM
Friend

The announcement was made on 10 June 2019 but it is only listed on the Japanese home site and only in Japanese. The planned launch date is Autumn 2019.

I asked a Japanese friend to read it and the key points were:
  • They state that they stopped making the film due to decrease in demand for black and white films and the difficulty in obtaining raw materials essential for production.
  • They claim to have developed a new black and white film “Acros II” by using substitutes for raw materials that became difficult to obtain.
  • The new film is supposed to benefit from new ‘Super Fine particle technology’ that controls the size of silver halide grains.
  • They claim that it is sharper and finer grained than the old Acros but do not make any direct comparisons.
Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 28th February 2020, 12:19 AM
Friend

Just a follow up to David's last post. It is now clear, I believe, that this film will be distributed to Europe and I think this will be very soon.

As David said and others such as the person on Photrio who apparently has contact with all the film makers confirm, it is essentially the same film

It is the case that the boxes for Acros now say "Made in the U.K. " and all are agreed this means that Ilford has enough of a role in the manufacture of it for the label to be placed on the box

I think we need to note David's bullet point 2 above as it is clear that Fuji would appear to need to charge more or should I say that retailers will charge more

I note that AgPhotographic still have an advert for the original Acros

which lists a pack 5x 120 at £5.80 a roll

A thread by a seller based in Japan announces that his supplier currently charges the equivalent of £ 7.70

I doubt that, if this is the equivalent GBP price in Japan, we can expect a lower price in the U.K.

So that's an increase of nearly £2 for effectively the same film and this is likely to be the minimum increase

We will all need to decide if the problem that David highlights in bullet point 2 warrants £2 more of our money.

All we seemed to be told by Fuji at the time of Acros' demise is that there wasn't enough demand to make it worthwhile to continue production. I don't recall any mention of any other reason

Like most of my questions asked by me on Photrio in my response to a call to simply rejoice that Fuji has listened to its consumers and restored a film, I felt that my questions were treated as being those of a party pooper. However that is my problem

Anyway just a heads up about the likely price when the same film as Acros returns as Acros II

Mike
Old 28th February 2020, 01:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just a follow up to David's last post. It is now clear, I believe, that this film will be distributed to Europe and I think this will be very soon.
Great news that this film is coming back. Hoping it makes it to this part of the world. Some of the sharpest images I have taken were with this film developed in Perceptol. Unique tonality too, which suits some scenes beautifully.

Thanks for posting this Mike.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies