Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd August 2009, 12:24 PM
Friend

Default Selenium Toning

I am making some prints using Ilford Multigrade IV paper and have some questions about selenium toning, which I want to try for the first time.

I don't want to use the selenium toning in order to alter the colour of the print but rather for the following two reasons:

1. Intensification of the blacks
2. Improve the longevity of the print

So, my question is this. From looking into this, I have read some comments about how selenium toning has little or no effect on this paper. Does anyone here do this with this paper and if so, can they comment on this? Bearing in mind that I am not looking for a colour alteration here .....

I am using the Harman selenium toner by the way, with Ilford Multigrade developer.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:29 PM
Friend

I have read that there is doubt that the use of selenium improves the archival keeping properties of a print.

Other than that I'm not familiar enough with Ilford papers to comment.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:34 PM
Friend

Multigrade IV is not a good paper for selenium toning and is likely to turn slightly blueish when toned depending on the degree of toning given. There has always been some debate about selenium toning for archival permanence, some advocat that a short time in dilute toner, 1 to 20, will render the print archival whilst others say that full toning until there is colour change is required. I'd suggest you try a few test prints at different dilutions and times to see if you can achieve what you require.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:49 PM
Friend

I have toned MGIV FB in Kodak's Rapid Se toner diluted 1:9, there was intensification of the blacks but little colour shift.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:12 PM
Friend

Thanks. Sounds like I should give it a go and see what the results are.

Another question that I meant to ask in the first post but forgot. My understanding is that toning can be done well after the print has been dried. In other words I can wash and dry the print as normal, return to it a few days later, wet it again, tone it, wash and dry again. Is this correct?
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Thanks. Sounds like I should give it a go and see what the results are.

Another question that I meant to ask in the first post but forgot. My understanding is that toning can be done well after the print has been dried. In other words I can wash and dry the print as normal, return to it a few days later, wet it again, tone it, wash and dry again. Is this correct?
Yes, I've done this myself in the past, just soak it well in water before toning.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:08 PM
Friend

You can also try it at different temperatures like 30c to 40c. Sometimes I am using selenium at those temperatures with Lith and it gives different colourful results. But at those temperatures the smell of the selenium is greater.
Old 10th August 2009, 03:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I am making some prints using Ilford Multigrade IV paper and have some questions about selenium toning, which I want to try for the first time.

I don't want to use the selenium toning in order to alter the colour of the print but rather for the following two reasons:

1. Intensification of the blacks
2. Improve the longevity of the print

So, my question is this. From looking into this, I have read some comments about how selenium toning has little or no effect on this paper. Does anyone here do this with this paper and if so, can they comment on this? Bearing in mind that I am not looking for a colour alteration here .....

I am using the Harman selenium toner by the way, with Ilford Multigrade developer.
This may be a bit late but I have done what you are asking there is a slight richning of the blacks but you will only notice this if you use another picture that is not toned as a guide.

I used 1 to 20 for about 2min's the change is more noticeable on FB as for longevity I dont know.

I have a print on my wall that I printed over 20 years a go that has not been toned I printed the same picture a few month back Im hard pressed to tell them apart.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:36 PM
Friend

I can confirm much of the above.
Ifford MG RC and FB will shift to a deeper black in selenium toner. With RC the shift is notacable but I use a much stronger 1-3 solution for the RC paper.

For both RC and FB I like a light bleach in the highlights (homemade ferri bleach dilited to a pale yellow) and tone back with homemade Thiocarbamide and Caustic toner (amounts varied to give light yellow colour) followed by Selenium as above. The bleach, whilst working on both highlights and shadows will have more effect on the highlights thus leaving the shadows free for a bit of beefing up with the selenium.

Just dive in and give it a go.

Andrew B
Old 14th August 2009, 02:27 PM
Friend

Have used Kodak S/toner at 1 – 20 for a number of years here in Oman, on both Ilford MG 111 & 1V (RC & FB). Some of the prints on my walls have been in almost direct sunlight during part of the day with no noticeable effect and I have not had complaints from any recipients of my prints. (Fate tempted me thinks)…..
Some intensification but I must admit – slight.

David.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd