Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2021, 06:33 AM
New User

Default Jobo 1500 series tanks — funnel traps

A great many years ago I had a system in my studio for developing 120mm B&W film using Jobo tanks, their rotary processor, and Hewes SS reels.

Instead of using Jobo plastic reels and center core, I purchased an “add-on” light trap funnel that snapped into the lid, enabling fluids to quickly flow into the tank from around the perimeter of the internal lid, not through the large opening in the center designed for the for the “core.”

I am now looking to rebuild a simple processing kit. I see some Jobo funnels on eBay, but just not sure if they are what I need.

Anyone have experience with this and can advise me? Many thanks.
Old 15th June 2021, 10:10 AM
New User

hmmm... I've been musing about this for a long while. It just occurred to me that there was no special light-trap filter.

I "plugged" the center hole (where the core is inserted) and epoxied it, then filed the inside so a 1520 tank would close using a 120mm SS reel.

The filter trap was designed to slip into the center of Jobo's plastic reels. SS reels didn't allow for that... so I filed things down in order to get the entire lid assembly properly closed.

No need to reply. After 25 years, my memory is just a tad foggy on some things.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Glad you managed to recall what you did. 25 years is not too bad - I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch last Sunday .

I've only used Jobo tanks with Jobo reels so couldn't help anyway...

Have fun, Bob.

P.S. - your post sent me down a short google rabbit-hole and I found that Hewes makes reels specifically for the Jobo 1500 series tanks - with a centre hole larger than standard to fit.

Last edited by Bob; 16th June 2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 16th June 2021, 02:36 PM
Friend

RK (sponsor, listed at head of this page) have new Hewes 35mm spirals for Jobo and also Paterson tanks; but they seem to be out of the standard ones. I got mine from them a couple of years ago. eBay ones tend to have been dropped or otherwise stressed.
Old 16th June 2021, 04:24 PM
Friend

They are available at Speedgraphic. And it appears, at least to me, that they're available in sizes that will fit Jobo 1500 tanks (and possibly even 2500, too, though I'm not entirely sure about that).

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/294-hewes/shop/0_0b.html
Old 16th June 2021, 04:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
They are available at Speedgraphic. And it appears, at least to me, that they're available in sizes that will fit Jobo 1500 tanks (and possibly even 2500, too, though I'm not entirely sure about that).

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/294-hewes/shop/0_0b.html
So they are, Nick. I was just in the Speed Graphic website getting other stuff, saw them listed and then found you'd got there first!

Tags
jobo
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies