Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th March 2011, 10:09 PM
Friend

I have the 56 edition, with a foreword from 1942. Its a good reading even if the science bit is a bit dense at the beginning One day I will finnish it lol.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:16 PM
Friend

I've got a few Ilford Manuals, but the one that holds sway in my view is the 1958 one, which states in the foreword by the editor, Alan Horder,
"it has been found necessary - with regret - to exclude colour photography from the present volume."
Does that make you feel old or what?
Old 11th March 2011, 10:34 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
I've got a few Ilford Manuals, but the one that holds sway in my view is the 1958 one, which states in the foreword by the editor, Alan Horder,
"it has been found necessary - with regret - to exclude colour photography from the present volume."
Does that make you feel old or what?
After reading your post, I have just read the preface in my edition, which I hadn’t read before. It reads the same – 1958, priceless and no, it doesn’t make me feel old, but fortunate to have acquired an Ilford Manual at that point photographic history.
Old 12th March 2011, 09:29 AM
Friend

My particular copy was printed in 1950. It actually belonged to my late father and was a gift to him from my late mother when they I had been together for 3 years (I know because she's written this inside the front cover). So, it's not only very useful, it's also very precious to me.
Old 12th March 2011, 11:44 AM
Friend

The Ilford Manuals of the '50's and maybe into the '60's had a substantial feel, a bit like they were a complete map of the photo firmament, and if it wasn't in there you didn't need to know it. The later editions, when it just became 'The Manual' seemed to me like they were dropping bits & tacking new ones on to keep the size within bounds, and it gradually lost the path as far as I was concerned.
But I'll always keep a '50's edition where I can get hold of it.
Old 12th March 2011, 01:14 PM
Friend

Martin,

I have an edition from the 1960s I was given recently which certainly seems substantial although the 1996 'Focal' edition which was to be the last to be published as far as I know contains several illustrations of coating plant; and although I do not have a personal copy, there are a couple in the Norfolk library system which I hope get borrowed and possibly enthuse a few into building a darkroom. I wonder how many customers Silverprint has in Norfolk?

Do you make use of any more recent references, e.g. Way Beyond Monochrome 2nd edition ? (which I'd recommend)

Tom
Old 26th December 2019, 12:23 PM
Friend

In my first flush of photographic enthusiasm I was given a fairly recent copy from about 1968. Also an Agfa Manual of similar proportions, but not as good as the Ilford book.
Now I am back into film photography I miss that old book, and was looking for another copy.
I see on Wikepedia there is a 10th edition of the Ilford Manual printed in 2011.

Would any of you knowledgeable folk know if the recent editions are much improved in content, and also what has been added and what dropped.

Happy Christmas All.

Edit. The other book was The Gevaert manual of photography.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 26th December 2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 26th December 2019, 01:40 PM
Friend

I've got two editions, 1968 and 1996 (titled 'Monochrome Darkroom Practice'). They're both excellent although the contents have changed a lot over the years. The older edition has a lot of difficult-to-find information on things like lens design and a big section with chemical formulae. There's also a big (and useful to me!) section on faults in negatives and prints along with sections on things like making lantern slides - did people still do that in 1968? I wouldn't be without either edition and regularly refer to them.
Old 26th December 2019, 01:54 PM
Friend

Just checking ebay, there are a number of copies available, with different printing dates and at different prices, with most of them being priced very reasonably.

I was nearly tempted to buy a more recent copy, but then realised that I bought a second copy not that long ago. Looking at it, it turns out to be a 1997 copy, which is a reprint of the 1996 book.

So, I'll leave the copies available for others.

It's a great book and is one of those books that you will go back to again and again, as there's so much information in them.

Terry S
Old 26th December 2019, 02:35 PM
Friend

I had a copy from around 1963 and for the life of me I don't know where it went to. Almost certainly lost during my may moves when \I was in the army pre 1980. It will be dated of course but on the end papers there were many personal notes in microscopic printing made by me when I was learning my skills in the darkroom (I am still learning!)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies