Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th January 2012, 03:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
Presumably it's on iPlayer, anyone care to post a link?
And what did your last servant die of?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_25_01_2012/
Old 26th January 2012, 03:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWaller View Post
"The One Show" is notoriously fluffy and superficial - it tries to cram in chat - serious news - comedy - in fact everything but the kitchen sink. The end result is that nothing is covered to a sufficient degree. The Friday show is better as they have longer to develop subjects (I really didn't intend the pun).

Martin
I feel there is far too much of this on TV. You pitch it perfectly Martin when you say "fluffy and superficial" I find it really frustrating and please forgive me for 'blowing my own trumpet', but when the BBC filmed the piece about light pollution (Stargazing Live, episode 2) and asked me how I felt about it. When I told them I use 'Deepsky' and narrow band OIII filters to cut through most, if not all the sodium band which manesfests as skyglow, they told me they would not use this as most of their viewers would not understand. Well, unless you explain fully to your viewers, they will never understand. I just wish these TV companies and producers would give their viewers a bit more credit; we are not all sucked into East Enders, et al
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 26th January 2012, 05:01 PM
Friend

Service with a smile, thank you Dave. We're not all retired with time to trawl through the BBC web site you know! Fluffy and superficial it might be, but the show is aimed at Joe Public and as such I thought it was a fair enough piece, pitched at about the right level and didn't dismiss film as a bygone. It might also have reminded people about printing their photos, and sparked interest in the younger generation who've grown up without those yellow wallets of prints.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 26th January 2012, 05:40 PM
Friend

Listening to Radio 5 the other morning they asked for altenative names for computers. They thought "twitter machine" was very good. I emailed them "Automaton Control Unit, just like the one you are sitting in front of". They didn't mention it

I also find the BBC to be extremely condescending. Most of their radio programs are pure trivia or deliberately aimed to wind up the public for the sake of taking polls based on the response. Social engineering at its worst.
I got rid of my TV ten years ago. I'll look at things occasionally on IPlayer if its something that really interests me but most of it is dross.
Old 26th January 2012, 07:58 PM
Friend

It's all very well for 'Joe Public', but Joe Public will always be Joe Public unless they transmit material with more detailed information. When people leave education and stop reading their only source of information/education is the TV. TVs are evolving into computers with internet access so perhaps there is a brighter horizon.

The amount of dross that is over the air waves is unbelievable. Even though I've subscribed to Virgin Media so I can view channels like Discovery, History, etc., but mostly its still light weight, more like looking through a basic encyclopedia for snippets of information, there never seems enough 'meat on the bone'. Thank goodness we still have books
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 27th January 2012, 12:57 PM
Friend

We're almost exclusively BBC4 and BBC2 these days!
And Trevor . . . was that using the two words 'reading' and 'education' in the same sentence? Precious little of it these days
As I keep saying to my son 'Become a literate and articulate person, because in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!'
Phil
Old 27th January 2012, 03:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
As I keep saying to my son 'Become a literate and articulate person, because in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!'
Phil
Well only if he can win X Factor or Big Brother and if he does who needs to be literate and articulate

Mike
Old 27th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Friend

In the beginning was the word-but people gave up on redding, cos den dey ad to fink. The problem with telly is simply this-it's entertainment, even the shows that pretend otherwise. No longer education, as it puts people in a horrible (new?) situation of having to consider the pros and cons of a particular argument. That's not as entertaining as watching an argument....
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies