Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd July 2012, 01:56 PM
Friend

I love steam trains but I also remember what stations and carriages were like when they were used for everyday transport; I certainly prefer a nice modern Pendolino or Voyager for that!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 4th July 2012, 05:15 AM
Friend

Dave: A good and interesting shot for cloud and exhaust affect. Did you use filter?

Les: Yes, I did see the programme on tv you refer to. I would say that the producers have made the points that they wanted to. So, no it is not factually or historically correct.

Staff thinking was obviously that the newer traction offered a more comfortable working conditions. But there were many who wanted to resist the changes, possibly as they saw their jobs could go yet at that time there were staffing shortages as few were willing to undertake poorly paid, heavy dirty work. Hence they came to be very messy. Sins of omission here.

Pollution, well yes, in two ways. First air pollution, there was a lot of duff coal that nobody wanted building up at the pits after WW2. Some of it was mixed with concrete in brickettes that would not burn well. What it did was to make a lot of black smoke. As the mines and railways were in public ownership, it was an easy political job to palm off this rubbish on the railways. Later as the mines went over to machine cut coal the lumps were too small for railway use and fell through firebars. Second ground pollution which could easily been thought around and designed out of existence.

Inefficiency, in engineering speak diesel is the most efficient. This leaves steam and electric, with the latest steam designs in 1950's it could well prove to be too close to call. But here we have to take into account that the modern coal fired power station is 65% inefficient and a further 20% is reckoned to be lost in power distribution through resistance. Then on the locomotive there are power electronics and transformers and possibly a rectifier before we get to the motors. The figures I have quoted have been extracted from a course I took in 2001

Last edited by AlanJones; 4th July 2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 7th July 2012, 04:22 PM
Friend

I love steam trains too and I used to volunteer on a local railway. I don't remember them on BR as I'm a little too young.

I never thought I would ever see them on the national network. The prices are getting dearer, but it's a great day out. I've done 3 mainline trips now. It's my experience that on the whole people love them, old and young alike.

They are extremely photogenic especially on B&W film and it takes skill to photograph them well. As I'm fairly new to photography I've used them as a subject and to develop my skills.

Here's a scan of a print.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 adj + sh LR B G.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1448  

Last edited by JohnB; 7th July 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies