Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd August 2012, 04:52 PM
Friend

Question location

Hi There,how do you guy's go about finding photographic location's.And how do you get those breath-taking photograph's with light bursting through the cloud's is it a matter of ,well just waiting for the right moment,or do you do alot of reserch before you go on your chosen photographic location's! Many Thanks Tony.
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:30 PM
Friend

I've got an iPhone app. You tell it which kind of photo you want to take and it tells you where to go, when to go there and what equipment to take along. Haha. If only it were that easy. I'm struggling for locations as well and getting a bit fed up photographing the same scenes over and over. One thing you could try is to do a search on Flickr for the area you live in and see if it brings up any interesting-looking spots. I did that but, sadly, I've done all the god bits where I live. Nothing for it but to go further afield now, I think

www.photography-matters.blogspot.com
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:58 PM
Friend

Its a mixture of knowing where to go to get that great shot, knowing where the light is likely to be right for the conditions, patience waiting for everything to fall into place, and a slice of luck, The first 3 are fairly easy for me as I live in an Island just 9 by 5 miles, as for the last, to quote the song luck be a lady,
Richard
Old 24th August 2012, 09:42 AM
Friend

I've recently taken up landscape photography and I must say that I have found it to be the most difficult ( and frustrating ) of any photographic discipline that I have yet attempted. I'm constantly looking for and noting down locations while out driving and try to plan everything in advance, weather reports, equipment, timing, ie morning or evening light etc. I usually start off early morning because I prefer the light at that time of day, also there are fewer people around. I'm using a 5 x 4 MPP or an old Watson half plate mahogany view camera to take paper negatives.
This is heavy gear to be lugging across the West Cornwall moors at six in the morning only to find that when I get there the location isn't all I thought it might be or the conditions and lighting aren't as I want and then coming home again to start a days work having not made a single picture.
However, I don't jog or go to the gym so I use this as a part of my fitness regime.
So:- planning, patience and luck in answer to your question
I'll K.B.O. ( keep bu**ering on ) as Churchill used to say, and I might, one day, have a landscape that merits posting on FADU.
Old 24th August 2012, 07:10 PM
Friend

Finding pictures and having great light is a mixture of luck and forward planning. I have an old book published by Ordinance Survey and in a section in it they suggest looking at maps, as they would, for interesting landscapes. If you orientate the map correctly you can estimate the light by using something like a Sun Compass (I got my from http://www.suncompass.info/). In the end, maps give a good idea. I try to get inspiration for all sorts of sources such as TV, local books, web sites and while travelling in the car, bus or train and looking through local guides.
Old 25th August 2012, 12:17 PM
Friend

I was lucky enough to meet Fay Godwin a long time ago. We chatted about some of her photos & I said how lucky she was to be in the right place at the right time. She said nonsense, she would find a location then had sat as long as three days, armed with flask, sandwiches & a book, waiting for the right light. I do not think I would have the patience or the time. The AA do lots of books about the beauty spots in the UK which might give you some ideas & Joe Cornish discusses locations on some of his on-line galleries & blogs.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishPaul View Post
I'm using a 5 x 4 MPP or an old Watson half plate mahogany view camera to take paper negatives.
This is heavy gear to be lugging across the West Cornwall moors at six in the morning only to find that when I get there the location isn't all I thought it might be or the conditions and lighting aren't as I want and then coming home again to start a days work having not made a single picture.

I'll K.B.O. ( keep bu**ering on ) as Churchill used to say, and I might, one day, have a landscape that merits posting on FADU.
Wow, that's quite a regime I reckon Rocky had it easier climbing those steps in Philadelphia

On a more serious note I am sure most of us not familiar with Cornwall would welcome your landscapes. As scenes unfamiliar to me and others they don't have to be "Moonrise over Hernandez".

In fact they better not be that otherwise we'll all know that digital PS has reared its head unless of course N Mexico has drifted on an easterly current.

Mike
Old 26th August 2012, 06:42 PM
Friend

Smile Thank-You

Thank-you,guy's for your GREAT advice!
Old 26th August 2012, 07:07 PM
Friend

Google Earth is good for research - especially if you go down to street level and "drive" the roads around your chosen spot. I use an app on my iPhone called "LightTrac" to get an idea of the light etc.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:38 AM
Friend

Can I be contentious and say there's a lot to be said for following John Blakemore's advice and really getting to know an area well and re-photographing it over and over.
For myself, if I want to research then obviously maps are great, and for finding parking places and so on Google maps is wonderful, but to be honest I rather like just going out for a wander and seeing what I can see and taking it from there . . sometimes you are lucky with the light, sometimes it is as flat as a pancake . . but it is always enjoyable!
Phil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies