Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2013, 04:23 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry

Some very interesting and good points to consider. I remember being at the Lowry Centre in Manchester and I was approached by security and told to move on, but with a wink he said "Now, if you was to tell me that you are a student of photography, and the images were to be for personal use only, then feel free to carry on" I can imagine their reasons are for the same as those you state for Canary Wharf. All the same, even if you do not lift a camera to your eye, it is a very nice place to be, even just for a pint or two before you move on.

Cheers

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Having moved a few years ago, but having lived close to Canary Wharf for about 20 years, despite being an electric buggy / wheelchair user, I too was told NOT to use a tripod = 'in case anyone fell over it...'

If they couldn't see me before they saw the tripod they had no hope then!

BUT, if you apply to someone in advance (you'd have to look this up as it's been many years and the request was typed on letter headed photo-club paper back then, but how easy is that to do now a days?!?!!?), stating that is was for personal reasons and not for publication or syndication etc you could book a day out for the security to leave you alone WITH your tripod.

I think they just don't want numerous people turning up unannounced each day, especially in the tourist season.

BTW, ONE security person did approach me but was fine when I showed him my permit / bit of faxed paper which I picked up from reception, which in turn was sent from one of the anonymous offices. Today I presume that it would be emailed across.

Terry S
Old 27th January 2013, 01:43 PM
Friend

Giving this thread the proverbial 'BUMP' for the benefit of any newcomers to the Forum.

Stoo
Old 31st January 2013, 08:15 PM
Friend

Just booked

It will be good to catch up with some familiar faces

Shall arrive Friday and will leave Monday

Not sure if anyone else is staying Sunday night but if not I can happily wander around the Tower Bridge area and amuse myself.

I'm only about 30 mins walk from Silverprint and it seems a shame to be so near by and not call in

Hopefully I can resist the temptation not to squander my life savings

Martin

Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 31st January 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 09:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Just booked

Not sure if anyone else is staying Sunday night but if not I can happily wander around the Tower Bridge area and amuse myself.

I'm only about 30 mins walk from Silverprint and it seems a shame to be so near by and not call in

Martin

Martin,

I shall be travelling up with Barry and I should think (subject to checking with Barry) it would be safe to say we shall each be staying
at the hotel for three nights.

I look forward to meeting up with you there

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st February 2013, 01:56 PM
Friend

It will good to see you there Martin, you can do SilverPrint on Monday as they are closed on Saturdays now.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 1st February 2013, 11:40 PM
Friend

Hey, that's great news Martin. It will be great to have you along and catch up with what you have been up to over the past years since seeing you last, which was Northumberland, I believe. I will be staying the Sunday night as well, so you won't be alone.

I will add your name to the list as soon as possible.

Cheers for now

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Just booked

Martin
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:56 PM
Friend

Updated attendance list for London Gathering

I have the pleasure of adding Martin Aislabie to the list of definite attendees to the London gathering. I have met Martin on a few Photography gatherings, and apart from being the perfect gent, is also a user of large format, so if you are new to the game, as I am, come along and pick his, and others brains about the format, or ask any other unanswered questions that you have. Share in a pint or two, view prints, and join in the general chit chat, photography related or not. It will be a great opportunity to meet fellow FADUists, and put faces to names. I am sure you will enjoy yourself and make life long friends.

IMPORTANT....I will be asking on the forum shortly what day would be preferred for the visit to the Sabastiao Salgado exhibition. I think it would be fair that the decision is made by the definite attendees, as they have committed 100% to the weekend, and would have invested their hard earned in to it. If you think this unfair, don't stay silent, share your thoughts with us all. As always, it is better to cater for all if possible.

EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA

For those staying three nights, I thought it might be a great idea to book the SHARD VIEWING PLATFORM on the Sunday night. The perfect way to end the weekend

http://www.theviewfromtheshard.com/

On the Sunday night the sun sets at 20.15hrs, so if we booked tickets for say, 19.00hrs, we can watch the sun go down over London, and then have a few drinks in the Bar afterwards. What do you think? Yes, it's expensive (£25), but it's not something you will do every day.

Attending so far are

Stoo Batchelor
Jon Butler
Neil Souch
Barry Wilkinson
Bob
Martin Aislabie

Possibly Maybe’s

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
Leo Stehlik
paulc

Traveling in for the day(s)

Paul Enters (PaulBJE)
Xpres
Alan Jones

Last edited by Stoo Batchelor; 2nd February 2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: to add
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:16 PM
Friend

I hadn't realised there was a viewing platform! Count me in if you book it and I'll stay late on the Sunday.
Old 2nd February 2013, 04:35 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I will try and be down in London for this Gathering. I would not be staying as I am on a small pension (pause for violins), but would be among the number travelling in for the days and perhaps evenings as I would stay with my sister in Balham.

I would like to see the Salgado Exhibition (and so would my sister!!) and would be coming down for it somehow anyway, so why not arrange it to combine with the FADU Meet - after all I heard about the Exhibition first on this Forum? This I will try to do. It costs no more to come to London from N.Wales than going to Manchester!
Mike
Old 4th February 2013, 10:15 AM
Friend

Hi Mike

It would be great to have both yourself, and your sister along. I think that the Salgado exhibition is going to be a wonderful highlight of the weekend, so it makes it all the more important to choose the right day to go along, so that everyone travelling in for the day can join the group.

I will very much look forward to meeting you both.

All the best

Stoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I will try and be down in London for this Gathering. I would not be staying as I am on a small pension (pause for violins), but would be among the number travelling in for the days and perhaps evenings as I would stay with my sister in Balham.

I would like to see the Salgado Exhibition (and so would my sister!!) and would be coming down for it somehow anyway, so why not arrange it to combine with the FADU Meet - after all I heard about the Exhibition first on this Forum? This I will try to do. It costs no more to come to London from N.Wales than going to Manchester!
Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies