Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 13th September 2014, 07:29 PM
Friend

Default Leaving the Forum

I can't seem to find out how to leave the forum and get all my stuff removed.
Could one of the moderators help please.

John
Old 13th September 2014, 09:17 PM
Friend

Sorry to hear this, John. None of my business but can I ask why you want to leave?

You can leave in a sense by not contributing any longer but if I may say, there is probably some very good stuff that you have contributed that might be of help to some of us in the future when we do a search for information so I'd be sorry to see it removed but it is of course your decision.

Mike
Old 14th September 2014, 10:59 AM
Friend

You can easily remove personal info from within your profile and photos from your gallery. Anything more will need the help of an admin'...
Old 14th September 2014, 12:53 PM
Friend

why do people expect that they can put their writings and comments into into the public domain and then as an after thought take them back. You just can't. It's like publishing a book, selling it and then changing your mind and expecting everyone to return it.
I thought everyone understood by now that if you put something on the web its there for perpetuity. It will have been copied and archived by anyone who cares to. Google will have copies, microsoft will have copies, dozens of web archive sites will have copies, the govt will have copies. Yes they do, the British library copies every web site in the UK (and probably more). The govt changed the law so they can legally do it and republish it.
So it's all out there and there's nothing you can do about it.

And it screws up forum topics if you remove someones posts later which other posts are answering.

If you don't want your thoughts on the web then don't put them there in the first place.
Old 14th September 2014, 01:09 PM
Friend

And even if it does get done it will be done by an unpaid person, one of our admins, will have to use their valuable free time to remove something that surely is not earth shattering.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th September 2014, 12:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArt View Post
I can't seem to find out how to leave the forum and get all my stuff removed.
By asking this you have drawn attention to your past posts, so some of us will be looking for the reason.
Old 15th September 2014, 07:18 PM
Friend

Hey guys - I was just asking a question......

I do not belong to any other forums so I do not understand the protocol of joining/leaving a group such as this.

If by asking the question I have been disrespectful to anyone I do apologise.

I have only subscribed to newsletters before where you can unsubscribe and then are often asked if you wish for your personal information to be removed from the site.

I don't have any earth shattering stuff on here and I am happy to leave it.

I have had no bad experiences on here or anything just wanted to close my membership or whatever it is you do on a forum.

John
Old 15th September 2014, 08:18 PM
Friend

All the best for the future, John. I am glad you are leaving your contributions.

Mike
Old 15th September 2014, 11:06 PM
Friend

Default " Birtish libary "

Hi Argentum,

“the British library copies every web site in the UK (and probably more). The govt changed the law so they can legally do it and republish it”.

My current understanding of “copy right” coping and storing “content” is that you ( who ever ) may copy and store for your personal use but may not publish or reproduce with out the authors permission for 21 years.

Clearly our understandings are profoundly different, perhaps it would help to follow this up, which part or parts of the “British” library system is doing the copying and storing ?

Regards

Rob
Old 16th September 2014, 12:16 AM
Friend

http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/legaldeposi...tes/index.html

http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/legaldeposi...ter/index.html

Quote:
Can I stop the crawling by using robots.txt or blocking your IP?

Adding our crawls to robots.txt will stop further crawling once we reconsider the file (see above). Similarly, blocking our IP will stop all further access from that IP address. However, the British Library and other deposit libraries are entitled to copy UK-published material from the internet for this national collection. If you disallow our crawler or block our IP, you will introduce barriers to us fulfilling our legal obligations.
So the british library is legally obliged to take a copy of yours and everyone elses website for their own usage and make it available to anyone who want to see it.
Now do you think that database gets distributed to other government establishments such as the police and gchq, just to name a couple, for the purposes of data mining and snooping.

note: "stop further crawling" doesn't mean erase previous crawl data. And in red they say they are legally obliged to do it so technically it could be argued that you cannot legally stop them since the law says they must. I wait to see if a test case ever hits the courts.

I think we went off topic a tad.

Last edited by Argentum; 16th September 2014 at 12:41 AM.
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies