Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th November 2016, 05:37 PM
Friend

Default Beginner darkroom workshop in Texas!

Sunday (11/13), I taught the first beginner darkroom workshop at the Dallas Center for Photography. We had a great time in spite of the darkroom not being complete. We worked very hard for two days prior to get it at least minimally operational in order to hold the workshop. Had 8 students (one is missing from the picture) and all managed to develop a roll of film and get a print - all in one day! It was like cramming several weeks of instruction into 8 hours, but we pulled it off. More workshops to come after the holidays!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group shot.jpg
Views:	2050
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	2600  
Old 15th November 2016, 07:51 PM
Friend

This a great achievement David and congratulations. It is a delight to see so many happy people with their first hand-made prints.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th November 2016, 05:40 PM
Friend

Well done David. I feel that this is the way to keep newcomers interested in analogue

Mike
Old 21st November 2016, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Congratulations David.

Getting a film developed and a print finished in 8 hours by myself would push my organisational abilities in my own darkroom - doing it with 8 beginners is nothing short of impressive.

A lot of hard work paid off handsomely.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 27th November 2016, 04:40 PM
Friend

Well done David!

It brings back good memories of when as a (youngish) student some 30 (eeek!) years ago, I worked on an American summer camp as the (b/w film) photography tutor.

Like you, I had the guys (from about 7 up to about 15 years of age) go out for an hour and take pictures on a 126 camera. After a quick demonstration in the light, they would then crack open the cassettes in the dark and develop their films. (Do you use spirals or as I did 'film aprons / lasagne reels'? http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...agna-reel/p856

After lunch we'd make a print or two each.

All great fun and I do wonder sometimes how many went onto other things photographic.

So I have to say that it's great to see something similar still going on.

Keep up the good work.

Terry S
Old 29th November 2016, 10:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Well done David!

Do you use spirals or as I did 'film aprons / lasagne reels'?

Terry S
The DCP has settled on steel spiral reels. I was all for this but a number of the beginners really had a problem with them. In all fairness to metal reels (which I use exclusively and DO NOT want to get in a debate over) I think it was mostly mental blocks. However, I did have one participant who kept saying (over and over) that it was "so much easier" with plastic (Patteson). Well, yes, if one has already learned how to do those!

And another old timer (getting back into the darkroom) mentioned the film aprons. I hadn't seen those in decades.

We have three more classes scheduled in January and February.
Old 30th November 2016, 10:07 PM
Friend

David, I salute you. Great achievement!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies