Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th January 2009, 06:53 PM
Friend

Default Adox CHS film

Does anyone have experience of using Adox CHS film (any of the variants)?

I stumbled across it on the Silverprint website and am curious about its performance, since it is claimed to have different sensitivity compared to more usual panchromatic film.

I'll probably take a punt and order a roll or two when I next order from Silverprint, but was interested to know if anyone had used it, and if so, how they got on with it.
Old 16th January 2009, 06:12 PM
Friend

I used a couple of rolls a few years ago whne APX25 was discontinued. It was still made under the EFKE brand then. I've only used CHS25 and was OK but not a patch on the AGFA - it didn't have that lovely 'creaminess'. I didn't notice any difference in sensitivity, but I was only using a pale yellow filter.

Rob
Old 16th January 2009, 07:06 PM
Friend

I've used CHS25 and CHS50, with both films being developed in Rodinal @1:100. Some general points:

• My exposure index for these films is box speed (Ilford films tend to be up to a stop slower)
  • I've heard complaints that the emulsion is delicate and easily damaged in processing, but I've not had any problems;
  • 120 film comes in convenient plastic pods;
  • 35 mm cassettes are like the ones Ilford used to use in that you can lift the caps off with your fingernail without resorting to an opener;
  • Being an old film I would say that the grain in more prominent than mordern emulsions, but I wouldn't say it was pronounced just it's not quite as tight say as FP4 Plus or Pan F Plus. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you'll notice it in most situations;
  • I don't find CHS 25 to be as contrasty as PAN F;
  • I'm quite partial to CHS50, although my main stays are PAN F +, FP4 + and HP5 +.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Old 16th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Friend

Thanks both. Looks like it may be worth a try, if only to see what the results are like.

I'm not looking to replace my 'usual' films (HP5+, Delta 100, FP4), but it doesn't do any harm to try something new every once in a while.
Old 28th January 2009, 05:39 PM
New User

I've used CHS 100 and 25 in both 35mm and 120. It is slightly grainier than modern films, but I think the tonal range is superior. CHS 100 is actually my film of choice. I develop it in Adox APH09 (Same as Rodinal 09 and Foma 09 and available from Retrophotographic.

I definitely recomend it.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:33 PM
Friend

I have used adox chs 100 at times developed in either rodinal or aph09, it has what I can describe as a ''1950's'' look to the finished print,if you look at vintage 50's'photo's you will see what I mean, personally, I think it has a wonderful tonality, aqnd certainly I have every intentionj of using more in the coming months, alongside my other personal favorite film, Fomapan 400. Richard
Old 28th January 2009, 09:07 PM
Friend

Slightly off topic but I am not sure it justifies a separate thread. I wonder if the new Kentmere 100 and 400 films 9Yet to be released here but available in the U.S.) will have that similar 1950s look and are meant to rival Adox CHS films but with faster speeds which might appeal to the budget snapper for whom ISO 25 and 50 could give difficulties.

Maybe Harman Technology has looked at ADOX/EFKE and other films from continental Europe and decided that such films are a worthwhile part of the market.

Mike
Old 10th February 2009, 03:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I have used adox chs 100 at times developed in either rodinal or aph09, it has what I can describe as a ''1950's'' look to the finished print,if you look at vintage 50's'photo's you will see what I mean, personally, I think it has a wonderful tonality, aqnd certainly I have every intentionj of using more in the coming months, alongside my other personal favorite film, Fomapan 400. Richard
Richard-

I posted a new thread on Adox CMS film last night and I have just noticed your comments on Adox CHS and on the face of it, it sounds more like the results I was searching for. I very much like the 50's look and the advantages are that I would not need to buy special developer. It will also enable me to shoot wide open with my lenses which could also lend itself to the look. How would you say this compares to Agfapan Richard?

Regards Kenneth
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies