Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th March 2018, 05:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Welcome Ian, working with wood is a lovely way of spending your time, I will bet that it will not be long before you build yourself a camera. Have you ever thought of doing a photo essay of a guitar build from start to finish, right from the woodpile to the first pluck of a string?
I've done some photography documenting my work, but I haven't done a photo series of the full process. I have written up articles on various repair/restoration jobs, with photos documenting the process, but I was shooting digital for convenience, even though I enjoy shooting film more. I'm not sure why I've never thought of doing both together to be honest.
Old 21st March 2018, 04:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
It's a way of life to do things 'properly', so using film and a darkroom seems logical for me.
That's funny, I often speak about Lutherie in the same way, that is, doing things properly. Hand building instruments is an odd profession in the sense that the only way an individual luthier can compete with more affordable mass produced instruments is by building the best possible instrument, and maybe being less concerned with efficiency or other metrics that concern most business people. Photography is very similar; it's not the most efficient means by which to capture an image and render it on paper, but the end result of the entire process can be far more rewarding, if one takes the time to master that process. However, some people seem to view the process as simply a means to an end.

I'm seeing a lot of parallels between Lutherie and film photography/darkroom printing, now that I'm getting back into this.
Old 28th March 2018, 09:53 PM
Friend

Default Craft Skills

Hi Ian,

Welcome.

Robert
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies