Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd March 2016, 12:43 PM
Friend

Default Fuji Hunt C41 AAAARGH!

Mixed 1 ltr of chemicals and processed: six 135mm 36exp, three 135mm 24exp. and five 120 roll films, great happy with the results. Went to mix another liter of chemicals today, bugger the part C of the developer has leaked. The bottle had fallen on its side and leaked out leaving just 20mm. What has happened there then? The lid was screwed on tight and the silver gasket left on. On the bottle it says it is a P-phenylenediamine derivitive, this chemical is used in hair dye. Any one know what is actually in part C of the developer? Should I throw the remaining chemicals or will I be able to use the fix and stabiliser for black and white films? I am really p*$$*d off that a bottle should leak has anyone else experienced this with Fuji chemicals?
Old 22nd March 2016, 04:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
...The lid was screwed on tight and the silver gasket left on. On the bottle it says it is a P-phenylenediamine derivitive, this chemical is used in hair dye. Any one know what is actually in part C of the developer?...will I be able to use the fix and stabiliser for black and white films?
The seal material is a laminate of aluminium foil and polyethylene, which can be RF welded to the bottle. If the seal is not removed in its entirety it can create a leakage path through which liquid can flow.
I believe that part C contains paraphenylenediamine, as stated on the label, with sulphurous acid as a preservative. Many people are allergic to it in alkaline solution.
Colour fix is very similar, but less acid, to B&W fix. It's probably better not to use C41 stabiliser for B&W, especially given that normal wetting agent costs a fraction of a penny per film.
Old 22nd March 2016, 05:29 PM
Friend

Measured the ph of the fix, it came out as ph7 so I can salvage that for B&W.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies