Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2016, 08:19 PM
Friend

I have a few 6x9 negatives filed away somewhere, so I will dig them out and see if your theory is correct. I am assuming with the coverage that the lens is one of the ones designed with 6x9 negs in mind but with a wide angle. As I said before they are all very similar in size and appearance. My 50 2.8 APO and the 80/F4 are identicle externally as is the WA version for 6x9
Old 28th September 2016, 06:12 AM
Friend

I've got a rodagon 120 WA, which is my usual 'go to' enlarger lens. I print 645 and up with it, and it gives me great results. I'm a bit of a fan of these WA lenses. I've got a rodagon 150 too, and comparing the two lenses on 5*4 negatives i'm not able to tell the difference. The only downside of the 120 is it extends above the lens mount in such a way that the illuminated display of f-stops doesn't work on my enlarger (it's got a shutter mechanism that blocks some light too). That's very much a first world problem ;-)

I thought the WA lenses all said 'WA' on the barrel? The pictures i've seen on the web suggest this. Interesting to know that this may not be always the case.
Old 28th September 2016, 06:56 AM
Friend

Default 80/F4 Rodagon

I think this lens has 'been through the mill' so to speak. Whilst the glass is clear and free of anything like fungus, dust or any other detritus, the serial number is only partially visible having been rubbed away. The aperture ring feels a bit 'notchy' and could probably do with a service, but that may come later. I feel in the light of your mention of the WA marking, this may have been eroded the same way as the serial no.

In the absence of these markings whether a WA or not, it does cover 6x9 comfortably with no fall-off. It may be that the company where I bought it thought it was a normal 80/F4 which is why I bought it at a very reasonable price. Whatever it is, I am more than happy. With my older 645 negs taken a while ago it is sharp corner to corner even at F4. It will do for me.

With the LPL7700 enlarger I use, the lens panel is reversible so the lens can stick out a bit more and the 'stop' setting can be clearly seen.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies