Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th December 2016, 08:57 PM
Friend

Hi all thanks for all your review! At this time I think I'm going to go with the etrs or etrsi because they seem to be alot more available.
Regards,
Luke
Old 12th December 2016, 11:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
The lenses for the SQ series are said to be sharper than ETR series, if that matters to you (ETR are plenty sharp, though).
I have both and have 20+ MP Noritsu lab scans from provia 100f shot in both and can see no evidence of this oft repeated but unsubstantiated idea or rather myth. The 150 PS and 150 PE I have seem to be more or less identical. The worst lens I have across the 2 systems is the 50 S for the SQ however its really close and its my most used lens on that system. My favourite across both systems however is the 60mm f2.8 PE, a real gem of a lens, sharp, fantastic contrast, f2.8 and focuses really close (about 0.4m). Choosing between the systems based on myth ideas about the lenses would be very silly IMHE.

However, the big fundamental thing is does one like using a waist level finder or not. On the ETRS one is driven towards using the grip and a prism (AEIII is fantastic btw), whereas on the SQ its nice to keep it simple with the waist level finder. The overall weight comparing cameras this way comes out about the same but the ETRS has the advantage that the lenses added to the kit are lighter and smaller, same for film backs. OTOH I find an SQ-B with waist level finder and 80mm lens less bulky and easier to handle in and out of a bag or rucksack than a grip and finder bestowed ETRSi. The reason why I still have both is I just can't decide which I prefer or which works better for me as both have pros and cons.
Old 5th January 2017, 12:38 AM
Friend

Just for a bit more information Luke. I also have a Bronica ETRS, with three lens, the 50mm, 75mm, and 150mm, an excellent camera to start medium format with, also there are adapters available for not a lot of money to adapt the Bronica lens to your DSLR. I have one for my Nikon. These lens make excellent images in digital as well as film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies