Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th June 2012, 11:33 AM
Friend

Default Alternative photographic processes

I have just read through most of 'The book of Alternative Photographic Processes' by Christopher James (second edition) which came out three years ago. I have never attempted alternative methods but this book is a fascinating account written in an engaging style which actually had me laughing in places (no mean feat!). For example, on discussing albumen prints he tells how each year his students stand further and further back from his demo as the egg albumen sensiting mixture gets riper and smellier. He also gives a recipe for Creme Brulee using the discarded egg whites! The list of techniques is extensive and there are also sections on pinhole and toy cameras. The author (who teaches photography in the US) adresses the questions concerning alternative techniques in a photographic world dominated by bitstrings, pointing out that a massive solar flare like one that happened in 1859 would wipe all our hardrives clean. I do not know how true this would be but if a different kind of nightmare scenario were to occur there is a detailed procedure in the book for making photographic emulsion from scratch.The one notable omission is the Bromoil technique although there are some good bromoil images included.

Most of the images would not personally inspire me to want to take up these methods other than to 'play' (something the author certainly encourages photographers to do). Although the processes look fascinating I wonder if similar results could not be obtained by careful experimentation with toners?

Despite that reservation this is one of the most enjoyable photography books I have ever read.

Les
Old 11th June 2012, 01:38 PM
Friend

Sounds an interesting book both to read and do from and also for the shelf for much future reference, but just checking around, it's not a particularly cheap book!

It may though go on the 'I want' shopping list that I give out a couple of times a year ;-)

Terry S
Old 11th June 2012, 03:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post
He also gives a recipe for Creme Brulee using the discarded egg whites!
Yolks. You use the whites for the emulsion!

I don't know if it's the same one by I saw a PDF document about albumen printing which had the recipe at the end.

I attended a free workshop on albumen printing a few weeks ago and now intend to try it myself.

Steve.
Old 11th June 2012, 03:46 PM
Friend

I do like albumen prints, (though not so keen on creme brulée!) There is an useful demo for Albumen Printing on Youtube. I used this when I was first starting out
Old 11th June 2012, 06:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Yolks. You use the whites for the emulsion!
Oops. Got that wrong.

Got the book out of the library where I work so did not cost me a penny!

Les
Old 11th June 2012, 09:05 PM
Friend

Thanks for the link, Kat. Very well explained and demonstrated. Not something you can say about a lot of "instructional" Utube videos.

As a matter of interest does anyone know what the life is of an albumen print if it were to be framed and placed in room daylight i.e. in total shade so no direct sunlight?

Thanks

Mike
Old 12th June 2012, 07:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
As a matter of interest does anyone know what the life is of an albumen print if it were to be framed and placed in room daylight i.e. in total shade so no direct sunlight?
It's very dependent on the processing. If the washing and fixing stages are not done properly, they can fade.

In the video posted earlier, the prints were washed then fixed. In the workshop I attended, we gold toned the print before fixing. I think this would add to its permanence.

I saw an albumen print in a church a few weeks ago which was not in direct sunlight but was still illuminated from light through a window. It was probably at least eighty years old and looked just as good as the prints we made a few weeks ago so it is possible to make them last a long time. This one was framed behind glass which might have helped by blocking some of the UV light.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve Smith; 12th June 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12th June 2012, 05:44 PM
Friend

Thanks Steve.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies