Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th August 2015, 05:51 PM
Friend

Dust CAN be a real problem but it is manageable if you are carful.

If you have a clean permanent darkroom you are half way there.

I don't, so instead I use a Changing Tent to load/unload the Film-Holders - it has nice smooth sides

The inside surfaces of the tent get a thorough wipe down before I start handling film.

I use a standard size Harrison Changing Tent but they are quite expensive - http://www.teamworkphoto.com/harriso...t-p-12282.html

Ag sell a much more affordable one - http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/pop...ent-2575-p.asp

Don't even think about a changing bag, with its fluffy/felt insides.

Before I load a sheet of film in to an empty Film Holder, I remove each Darkslide and give it and the Holder a careful clean with an Anti-Static Brush - https://www.cameraclean.co.uk/products.php?cat=Brushes

I always keep my Film Holders in a sealable food container, which both keeps them clean and protects them inside my Camera Bag.

Before I load it in to the camera, I give the whole exterior of the Film Holder another brush down using a badger hair brush, as no matter how careful I am there are always little flecks of something on my Film-Holders.

I then do the same thing before I place the Film Holders in the Changing Tent to unload the film.

It is also worth from time to time, giving empty Film Holders a blast of compressed gas to dislodge any grit or dust caught in the light trap seals.

In addition, occasionally give the inside of your Camera Bellows a quick go with your Vacuum Cleaner to collect any stray particles that may have become trapped. I do mine about once a year.

Dust and cleanliness are much more down to you in LF than in the smaller formats.

However, everything in LF is much more down to you - and that is what makes it so rewarding when you get it right. There are loads of pitfalls in LF and as a beginner you will make lots of mistakes but its surprising how quickly you will get on top of them.

LF won't instantaneously make you a better photographer - but it will change the way you work and how see things.

Be warned though - LF is pretty addictive.

Martin
Old 31st August 2015, 03:08 PM
Friend

I use a Harrison tent to load my dark slides and always wipe it down with a damp cloth before loading.

I vacuum my dark slides outside with the vacuum cleaner inside the how and the hose poking out of the kitchen window.

Dust in the dark slides will cause you major problems but dust prevention is easily managed.
Old 5th September 2015, 04:33 PM
Friend

I will add that the human body is the biggest transference of dust to what ever you are holding. To help cut this down you should earth yourself by not doing so you pass the static in your body to the item you hold and with it dust. it happens in such subtle way that you do not notice until it is to late.

One of the easiest ways of do it is to wash you hands in cold water this also has a secondary affect of closing you pores and therefore stops greasy fingers on the film or touch some thing metal that go's to earth, bare feet.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th September 2015, 07:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
What puts me off buying a large format camera is the thouhgt of getting dust on the film when loading dark slides.Are my fears unfounded, how do you prevent the issue?
Why should large format present more concern about dust particles. Dust particles on smaller formats present more of a problem due to enlargement and relative size/format ratio.
Old 5th September 2015, 08:04 PM
Friend

But smaller formats come packaged in a dust free factory and go straight into the camera. Large format film has to first be loaded into holders which introduces the chance for dust.
Old 8th September 2015, 12:09 PM
Friend

A few other points.

Dust on the negative won't typically cast a hard shadow onto the film - it is likely to sit above the surface a little (especially if it's fibres), so the impact on the negative might be less than you think.

Second, since the enlargement factor is much less with LF, the affected region on the print is smaller, so again, it has less effect than 35/medium format.
Old 8th September 2015, 06:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
But smaller formats come packaged in a dust free factory and go straight into the camera. Large format film has to first be loaded into holders which introduces the chance for dust.
Why should there be less dust in the air inside a camera than air outside a camera?
Old 8th September 2015, 06:49 PM
Friend

I don't follow, are you arguing the case for there being an equal dust issue with 35mm as large format? Yes there is less dust inside the typical 35mm camera than there is inside the cavernous unsealed bellows of a typical large format camera (which lets not forget is opened to the elements every time a lens is changed, or the camera put away, or a film holder loaded) , and the darkslides, and the inside of the camera bag etc. Speaking from experience the issue of dust (and hairs, lint, fluff etc) with large format is very real but is manageable at the point of shooting with a little care and prudence.
Old 8th September 2015, 06:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I don't follow, are you arguing the case for there being an equal dust issue with 35mm as large format?
No, I'm arguing a case for more dust issue with 35mm.
Old 8th September 2015, 07:11 PM
Friend

I've never had a dust issue with 35mm!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies