Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd September 2016, 10:46 PM
Friend

Smile Pleased

I have been considering to move up to med format for a month or two so after getting a VERY good offer for a low shutter count NIKON 'D' thingy that I have never really been happy with, I went and bought a Bronica ETRSi outfit comprising of:- Camera complete, plus a spare 120 back, Plain Prism, 150mm telephoto and a 40mm WA. The wide angle lens is a beaut and looks as if it has never been used, whats more it only cost me £79. All the above for £35 more than I got for the digy thing!

On top of this I needed a medium format enlarging lens and bought a Rodenstock 80mm F4 in its keeper. That little gem was £69. (Included in the outfit I bought)

I have looked at various used camera equipment websites and the 80mm Rodenstock has posed a problem. (Possibly a very nice one for me) They made 2 variations of the 80/F4. One that covers up to 6x7 and a wide angle version designed fo 6x9. It is also the same size and style as my 50mm F2.8 APO lens. I suppose that the only definitive check is by the serial number.

Looking at the images of the lenses on the web, they look the same and are apparently the same physical size, but the value of the WA version is 3 times what I paid for mine! Even the 6x7 version, if it proves to be that version, has a used retail value of over £100, just a little bit more than I paid.

Now I may be after a spot meter but I'm not paying more than £20 (or less) for one....... just joking
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:36 PM
Friend

Sounds like a great deal. I use Bronica SQ cameras and lenses, and they are really nice to work with. I think you'll enjoy using this outfit. I have a plain prism, and recently bought a metered version. To be honest, the plain one is probably better for the type of photography I do. I have a spot meter, but tend to use an incident meter more with medium format. It's easier to carry around. Your enlarging lens will be top quality, whether or not it's the wide version. I hope you can get out and about with the new gear this weekend.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2016, 06:48 AM
Friend

The Etrsi is a superb 645 camera, you shpuld have a lot of fun and pleasure out of using it, I used a Bronica etr for many years before my love of the older folders and tlrs took over, and I still have it and use it now and then,
Richard
Old 24th September 2016, 08:41 AM
Friend

I won't be using it this weekend - I have a previous appointment with a paint brush! Also, I have no 120 film. I didn't order any before I bought the Bronny just in case it was a crock of you know what and it would be wasted..

I think AG will be getting a call on Monday.

Looking at other websites for used equipment, the prices for Bronica Equipment has plummeted in the past years. Hooray for digital in that respect
Old 24th September 2016, 10:17 AM
Friend

Interesting you mention a spotmeter at £20 but all joking aside I have never been able to work out why the likes of Pentax "Spots" always seem to sell for much less over in the U.S. than here where I have never seen a bargain

Mike
Old 24th September 2016, 10:59 AM
Friend

The spot meter I have is branded 'Capital', and I think it is the same as the Soligor model. They come up on eBay from time to time, and are quite cheap, probably because it's a less well known brand. I have to say that it works very well, so worth looking out for if the better known models are too expensive.
Alex.
Old 24th September 2016, 04:18 PM
Friend

I have had a couple spot meters in the past and got on very well with them. One was a Minolta Spotmeter F and the other a Sekonic (can't remember the model number... was it a 356 I don't know).

Both were very accurate, but I have a Euromaster 2 which will do me for now. When compared with a reading from my F6 on a mid grey wall, there is only a discrepancy of about 1/3 of stop. I need to replace the Invercone though, the metal spring leaf that holds in onto the meter body has broken so it has to be fixed with selotape.

There must be a spare somewhere out there but it isn't urgent.

Last edited by John King; 24th September 2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 24th September 2016, 05:03 PM
Friend

John I always use my Euromaster with any MF, for me it works fine, also I have a spare Invercone here with the spring clip in place, if you are interested then PM me with your address and I will gladly post it to you
Richard
Old 24th September 2016, 05:58 PM
Friend

I have just tried the enlarging lens in my LPL7700 with the universal carrier and the Rodagon 80 mm covers 6x9 cofortably so it may be that I have the wide angle version so it gets even better!

With 6x4.5 it will only use the centre part of the lens coverage which will help with any corner definition fall off
Old 24th September 2016, 06:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have just tried the enlarging lens in my LPL7700 with the universal carrier and the Rodagon 80 mm covers 6x9 cofortably so it may be that I have the wide angle version so it gets even better!

With 6x4.5 it will only use the centre part of the lens coverage which will help with any corner definition fall off

While it covers 6x9 it's likely the corners aren't as sharp as a 105mm which is designed for the format. I gave about 5 105mm Componons away about a decade ago, no spares now.

A few years ago I bought a Minolta F spotmeter pn another UK forum for £25. I laso have a Capital (Soligor) but the switch is dodge y, there's no spares any longer and the rubber eye-piece is perishing.

The Gossen meters with the spot attachment are very good and cheap but very accurate.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies