Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd October 2016, 04:44 PM
Friend

Default Pentax 645 underexposing

Hi, I've had a Pentrax 645 MF for a little while now, which I like, but I find if I take a photo of an average contrast scene, like the front of a house or some bushes etc, the exposures are ok, but as soon as I introduce a bit of sky into the pictrure, even a small amount , say 2 thirds building and 1 third sky, it under exposes by about a stop or two, now I thought that the average metering would be able to cope with this.
Has anybody had a similar experience or is this just one of the cameras quirks ?

Thanks
Tim
Old 23rd October 2016, 06:28 PM
Friend

No experience with a P645 which seems to only have centre-weighted metering. I have a P645N which has centre-weighted, matrix and spot metering.

I usually have it on ether spot or matrix( the latter mostly) and do not have your problem or at least haven't noticed it to any extent.

I did read the Ken Rockwell article on the P645 and he made no mention of needing to be aware of this metering problem. Ken R never seems backward at coming forward in his articles if he spots a "defect" in his review equipment

As you say, you would not expect a small amount of sky in a centre-weighted meter to exhibit that much under exposure.

I suppose the way to see how little sky affects the reading is to examine the same scene with constant light conditions without any sky then gradually raise the lens until it shows a small amount of sky and then look at the reading, then keeping raising the camera until it is at least one stop under and then see how much sky is there.

It might be that there is a bigger area of sky in the picture than you think and if the non sky area has much shade but the sky is clear and blue then I suppose this could affect it quite a lot.

How does it behave when you try this under overcast or even partly cloudy conditions?

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies