Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd February 2017, 10:24 PM
Friend

Default hasselblad prism

when I bought my two Hasselblad's they both had waist level finders that was ok but I wanted a eye level finder ,but I had spent a lot of money on my hassy kit so had to wait but then I found a NC2 cheap and well used but the glass was clear so I bought it ,when I used it I was surprised to see how bright the image was when using it ,later ffordes was selling a metered PME prism at a fair price so I bought it, it was brighter than the old one and I loved it .then the other day I took a gamble and I won a PM45 eye level finder at a great price and got it delivered today ,I gave the glass a good clean and put it on my camera ,I was blown away by the brightness and how clear the image is ,the eye piece is bigger and it has a dioptric adjustment as well ,as my eyes are getting old its a godsend .. the other thing I bought was a double handled grip with shutter release for my 553ELX as this camera is heavy and I have problems with my arms its easer to hold it with both hands ,so I have sorted out my focusing problem and my arm problems ,I also use a mono pod when out .I love using my Hasselblad kit they are such beautiful things ,so anything that helps me carry on using them is a great investment and what film photography is all about ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th February 2017, 11:42 AM
Friend

Congratulations on your purchases.
I'm currently looking to get a prism for my Hassy but they are expensive.
I originally wanted the pme45 but just finding one in the uk is nigh on impossible and the one I did find was £1200.
Old 19th February 2017, 11:19 PM
Friend

yes the finders with meters in always have a premium price ,and the PME45 prices are eye wateringly expensive ,so I will stick to my PM45 and use a light meter ...the PME is a good finder and the meter in it is very good and I find it very reliable to use ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 20th February 2017, 11:10 AM
Print Exchange Manager

This thread has made me look at a Hasselblad 45º prism eyepiece (no other identifying mark but is quite big and heavy) that I picked up some time ago that has the necessary meter knobs and switches on it. Never have used it, preferring the waist level finder and separate spot-meter. So I may be sitting on a bit of treasure??
What to do about it? - decisions, decisions!!
Mike
Old 20th February 2017, 11:23 AM
Friend

mike you will have to find out what it is and let us know :-)

www.essexcockney.com
Old 23rd February 2017, 04:26 PM
Friend

Got my pme 90 today (worlds most expensive flash bracket.
It has a black mark visible at the top of the viewfinder smack bang in the centre.
My first one many years ago had this and I just lived with it.
Anyone seen it other than me and can it be corrected?

I assume it's the mirroring failing.
Old 24th February 2017, 06:51 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
This thread has made me look at a Hasselblad 45º prism eyepiece (no other identifying mark but is quite big and heavy)
Looks like an original Hasselblad metering prism. I found it here:

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...adFinders.html

The link works!!!
Cheers, Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 24th February 2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: tested link
Old 24th February 2017, 10:06 PM
Friend

tony sorry to hear that, can you not send it back ,sometimes the foam in the prism rots and take a bit of silvering with it whether it can be repaired I don't know ,what I have noticed with mine is how dirty my fresnel screen is...mike ignore what I said and I will gladly take it off your hands for a tenner :-) no really that's a nice bit of kit you have there ....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 25th February 2017, 06:35 PM
Friend

I'm got a 45 degree prism (non metering) which I don't use much, as I actually prefer using a chimney hood to the prism. These are cheap, light, and if you don't care about the reversed frame I find really easy to work with. What's more, they have a built-in focus adjustment, so no need to switch diopter adjustments etc.

As for metering, my advice is to track down one of the later bodies with built-in metering. I've got a 203FE which is just a lovely lovely camera to use, and it's got fabric curtains, so no danger of damaging them. They aren't cheap, sadly, but i've a feeling they will get more expensive with time, so if you really fancy one, get one when you can...
Old 25th February 2017, 08:09 PM
Friend

medium format cameras are getting more expensive and more popular every day,and my opinion the Hasselblad V series are the best looking M/Format cameras , I also have a mamiya 645 AFD11 and a selection of AF lenses ,I do like it but its not as beautiful as my Hasselblad's ,,the pm45 prism finder has a adjustment for my old eyes , and its amazingly bright and sharp ...

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies