Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2010, 06:25 PM
Friend

Default Berg Sepia Toner

Hi all,
I just want to share my findings with respect to this brand of sepia toner.

I don't know if Berg toners are available in the UK, but it's one of the few choices I have here in the US.

* Ilford MG RC Pearl. Almost split toned, since the clouds still retains its greyness a little bit. I chose this one because it's printed slightly darker.

* This one is on Adox MCP312 RC. I really like the brown tone on this one. Link to the photo in the Gallery section.
Old 8th November 2010, 06:59 PM
Friend

I am not aware of it being available in the UK but I certainly like the effect you are getting with this toner. Many thanks for sharing your images and the information.

neil.

Neil Souch
Old 8th November 2010, 07:32 PM
Friend

seems tobe one of the nicest sepia toners I have seen for a long time,never heard of it over here, but Linhof studio stock berger papers and chemicals, might be something to do with berger, I would certainly be interested if it became available,Richard
Old 9th November 2010, 02:53 PM
Friend

This is a two-bath sepia toner (bleach and toner, in two trays). I should think that there is an equivalent toner with similar formulation in the UK.

I have written steps on how to use this toner, in case anyone wants to give it a try.
Old 9th November 2010, 03:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillShade View Post
This is a two-bath sepia toner (bleach and toner, in two trays). I should think that there is an equivalent toner with similar formulation in the UK.

I have written steps on how to use this toner, in case anyone wants to give it a try.
We have many available Will, I think the comments were addressed to the particular tone that yours achieved.
Old 9th November 2010, 05:14 PM
Friend

Will, your description of of the bleach (Tray #1 - the bleach, a quite striking blue (aqua) colored liquid when mixed with 840ml of water) is very interesting as the normal bleach we use is made from Potassium Ferricyanide which when mixed has a definite yellow to light yellow colour. Tim Rudman gives several different bleach formulas in his book, to obtain different sepia effects, and I feel that the Berger kit contains a different bleach which is producing this most attractive tone. I wonder which one it is ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th November 2010, 06:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Will, your description of of the bleach (Tray #1 - the bleach, a quite striking blue (aqua) colored liquid when mixed with 840ml of water) is very interesting as the normal bleach we use is made from Potassium Ferricyanide which when mixed has a definite yellow to light yellow colour. Tim Rudman gives several different bleach formulas in his book, to obtain different sepia effects, and I feel that the Berger kit contains a different bleach which is producing this most attractive tone. I wonder which one it is ?

Neil.
Neil, the literature from Berg specifically claimed that they use no ferricyanide to make the bleach bath. That may contribute to the blue color.
They also claimed that the toner works especially well on RC paper, which is one I used in the bicycle photo.

On Fomatone RC, this same toner produces a yellowish - almost orange - color that I don't like that much.

Last edited by WillShade; 9th November 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 9th November 2010, 06:30 PM
Friend

I have used both the Foma sepia toner and Classic sepia toner from Germany and the bleach in both was Dark Green,Richard
Old 9th November 2010, 06:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We have many available Will, I think the comments were addressed to the particular tone that yours achieved.
Agreed, Dave.

What I meant to say was: I find it hard to believe that the same formulation used by Berg is not available in the UK, produced/marketed by other companies. We just have to find out which one.

Then the other parameter left would be the paper type, is Adox MCP312 available in the UK? MCC 110 is the Fiber-based version of the same paper.
Old 9th November 2010, 07:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillShade View Post
Neil, the literature from Berg specifically claimed that they use no ferricyanide to make the bleach bath. That may contribute to the blue color.
They also claimed that the toner works especially well on RC paper, which is one I used in the bicycle photo.

On Fomatone RC, this same toner produces a yellowish - almost orange - color that I don't like that much.

Thanks, Will. I would love to know what is in that bleach

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies