Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd January 2014, 11:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
Holgas should do nicely I am sure you will be able to source some crappy 40 year out of date badly stored film on Ebay to load it with,
I've got some Tri-X dated 1958 along with a few rolls of Ilford HPS & Selochrome from the early 60s - Would these be allowed after being loaded in to a Box Brownie ?
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWarom View Post
Just for info AG and First Call sell them but they are not cheap.
Richard
I think the rules can be bent slightly for people like Cornish Paul, who has gone and bought a real basic point and shoot in a charity shop and loaded it up with film.

The basic idea really is to get out of your usual comfort zone of your favourite slr or whatever and then go out and shoot some pictures with as back to basic camera as you can lay your hands on. The shop bought cameras which are preloaded do seem an expensive-ish way to do it, in buying a 'new' even if recycled, basic jobbie when you have probably got something that will fit the bill already tucked away in your collection.

I'm using a 120 Holga, which are as basic as one can get but you just get bigger (and less to shot on) negatives to use.

Terry S
Old 3rd January 2014, 02:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I've got some Tri-X dated 1958 along with a few rolls of Ilford HPS & Selochrome from the early 60s - Would these be allowed after being loaded in to a Box Brownie ?
I don't see why not?!?! I think that they could even win the prize (if there was one ) for the oldest hybrid use of materials.

Terry S
Old 3rd January 2014, 03:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I think that they could even win the prize (if there was one ) for the oldest hybrid use of materials.
I could go even older - Turn of the century plate camera plus some pre war Ilford plates
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:15 PM
Friend

Time to break out the mid-1920's Ansco Goodwin #2 by the sound of it. Haven't taken that old bird out for a spin in a few months!

I ought to be able to shoot 8 frames, soup the roll and get a print made from one of the shots by the end of the month.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:31 PM
Friend

As Terry says, this came about after some discussion about how much gear we're all packing.
I've been shooting film since about the 1970's, so have accrued 35mm, 120, and 5x4 kits. With the current price of gear you can own stuff which used to be working-pro level kit. Like:
http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/13051614375881
THIS, for two trips to the supermarket, or the price of four tanks of petrol!
Anyhow, the idea is, what happens when you have the most basic tools at your disposal? Fixed lens, no control of exposure, no meter. I've gone with 'disposables', but the experience will be just as interesting with any really basic camera.
I'm off to the charity shop myself tomorrow in search of an orphan camera!
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:26 PM
Friend

I shot a roll on Jan 1st with my plastic panorama camera with its 25mm lens. I removed the mask so it shot 'full frame', but haven't processed the film yet... and I couldn't get the rewind button to work so I hope it's all OK.
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:43 PM
Friend

Rollei Retro 80S is even curlier in 127 than in 120. As I'm not up to making cylindrical contact prints, I have the strips flattening out (I hope) in the Times atlas. This is turning out to be rather a fun project (availability of 127 proving to be the major non-fun aspect).
Old 5th January 2014, 03:12 AM
Friend

Today I bought a camera for . . .
One pound!
For £1, I got Autoload and rewind. Flash. Choice of film speeds (in steps, from ISO 100 to 1000). Zone focus. Some kind of autoexposure, I think (?) AND a self timer (OK, that's broken . . . )
On the negative side, it's actually more sophisticated than I want.
On a positive note, it doesn't work well, and it's the size of a brick!!
And I've never bought a camera for a quid before.
And, I can load it with black and white and print myself.
Have a lovely weekend, all!!
Old 5th January 2014, 06:03 PM
Friend

Hi Guys, this looks like it could be fun, may well have to jump in and have a go.

Anybody seen this offer from the high street catalogue shop

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1081956.htm

Not quite £1 each but three for £10.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies