Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2014, 03:38 PM
New User

Exclamation HELP! Durst 370 enlarger and Durst Tim 60 timer

Hi, i just bought an enlarger Durst M370 color and Durst Tim 60 timer.
i dont have experience with enlarger, this is my first set. the M370 dont lit when i switch on (well, the seller mentioned it), and i check on the light bulb it said 12V 100W max (Osram 64627). from what i see there is no transformer to step down the voltage from main power to 12V! it only has the main cable, connecting between light bulb and wall socket.
if it require a transformer, what specification should i use? 105W or 150W or something lower than 70W?

About the Durst Tim 60 that come together with the enlarger, how does this works? when i turn the knob, the black needle move but the red doesnt.

I hope i could find information from here as i am unable to find information online.
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Hi.

There is a copy of the M370 manual on the forum here: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...highlight=M370.

A quick look in it shows there should be a transformer for the colour model.

As the lamp is rated at 100W/12V then any power supply able to give 100W or more @ 12V will do. A good option may be a power supply intended for a laptop computer.

Sorry - can't help with the timer.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 2nd May 2014, 05:34 AM
Friend

With the Durst Tim 60 you turn the black knob to the desired number of seconds then when you want to make the exposure press the red rectangular button down. When you want to focus the neg you lift the rectangular button up and the lamp should come on.
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:00 PM
Friend

Default Laptop Power supplies

Most laptop power supplies give 18...19volts, not 12. The over-voltage would cause immediate failure of the lamp. Such lamps are quite expensive.
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:21 PM
Friend

Please confirm which model you have, colour or B+W. I think on the later models they both used 12V 100W bulbs but not entirely sure.

The durst transformer was a TRA 305

A similar unit from kaiser is following

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4453

about £130 from http://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/P...er-Spare-Parts

You should be able to pick up a used transformer for much less I think.

BUT if you have the older M370 B+W then it used a 75W Opal bulb which would be 240V and run direct from mains through your timer.

So how is this bulb mounted? Screw in to holder inserted through the bottom of the head or fitted internally in a halogen clip in bulb holder ?

Last edited by Argentum; 2nd May 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:45 PM
Friend

A lot of low voltage domestic lights are 12volt and use a transformer for mains power to 12volt. Somewhere like Maplins would stock them much cheaper than a dedicated enlarger transformer.

Tony
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:46 PM
Friend

soifonalex, this may not be relevant depending on your answer to argentum's question but I believe there was a thread on FADU covering alternatives to the Durst transformer. If I recall correctly it involved using bits from the electronic store called Maplin.

Can anyone else help here as I may be speaking out of a hole in my head?

Not sure how easy it is to pick up a used transformer by itself

Mike
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:47 PM
Friend

Tony just beat me to it!

Mike
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:24 PM
Friend

Toolstation stock 230v - 12v electronic transformers of suitable capacity starting at £7.88. Some of these are fitted with a soft start device which may make things 'interesting' when using them to drive an enlarger.

For colour work the power should be stabalised - which isn't difficult in theory but if you're not in to power control could be very daunting.

CPC is worth a look. Bit like Maplin but aimed more at the professional and often very much cheaper - no minimum order and post free. I bought a couple of spare lamps for the De Vere for about £2.50 each.

Tim
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Most laptop power supplies give 18...19volts, not 12. The over-voltage would cause immediate failure of the lamp. Such lamps are quite expensive.
True enough - I was thinking of universal supplies such as this from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-120...r-supply-l23ay) but yes indeed - you don't want to plug a 19V supply into something expecting 12V - it could get very upset...

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies