Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2011, 01:50 PM
Friend

Default Neofin Blue Advice

I now have my Neofin Blue in one shot bottles, and a couple of 120 reels of Delta 100 to dev. I find the instructions very confusing (it's probably me). Diluted to make 500ml can members advise for agitation regime and total time please. It seems to me that 7 min. is right for 20 degrees C from the table. Thanks.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:27 PM
Friend

The instructions for Neofin have always been considered rather impenetrable - it's not you!

7 mins at 20 deg C. is right according to the literature and I use an agitation cycle of 30s following immersion then 5s every minute. I've not used it with Delta 100 though so maybe do a test film first?
Old 17th June 2011, 06:21 PM
Friend

Thanks Roy; I will have a go on the weekend. Good to know I haven't quite lost my grip yet.
Old 19th June 2011, 10:52 AM
Friend

Processed my films today. 7 min.@ 20 deg. C, jiggled for initial 30 secs. then three inversions every minute thereafter. Film looks clean with good range of tones and density, so this will be my standard for Delta 100. I am quite tempted to try Delta 400 with this developer, but it does not seem to be recommended.
Old 19th June 2011, 03:17 PM
Friend

Excellent, glad that worked okay!
Coincidentally, I had to process a roll of 35mm Adox 50 Art yesterday and thought I'd try it in Neofin Blue.

Time was also 7 minutes at 20°C, diluted to 500ml, agitation as you used.

The negatives are quite exceptional, so I'll be using this again, probably with 120 film next time.

It's true that it isn't recommended for faster films like Delta 400, but it would be interesting to try it on a sacrifical roll. If you do, let me know how you get on!

Last edited by Roy_H; 19th June 2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added a line.
Old 19th July 2011, 05:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Processed my films today. 7 min.@ 20 deg. C, jiggled for initial 30 secs. then three inversions every minute thereafter. Film looks clean with good range of tones and density, so this will be my standard for Delta 100. I am quite tempted to try Delta 400 with this developer, but it does not seem to be recommended.
Glad You find it good. Do you scan or enlarge ?
Try also less agitation, as You will not loose too much of acutance.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:59 PM
Friend

Sorry not to have got back to you Timor. I have not looked at the thread for months. Things have been in a state of limbo/flux/chaos/uncertainty due to the loss of my bathroom darkroom. I thought that I might give up the struggle ( the bathroom was my 4th incarnation) but I must say I do miss it. Anyway, upshot is I intend to continue in a very small way and make 5x7s from 35mm in the bedroom. So the eventual answer is; I hope to do some printing in a small way and I also scan with a Coolscan IV. I will take your advice on agitation, though it will be 35mm only from now on. I also would like to try the Neofin with HP5. Maybe it would be all right for small prints. Any advice for dev. time? As the combination is not recommended, there is little advice it would seem. Thanks; sorry for the time lapse!
Old 20th December 2011, 11:46 PM
Friend

Stuart if you are using a bedroom as a darkroom, have you seen Tim Rudman's offer of a darkroom blind? Postage req'd given the distance but worth considering if it fits.

Mike
Old 21st December 2011, 07:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
I will take your advice on agitation, though it will be 35mm only from now on. I also would like to try the Neofin with HP5. Maybe it would be all right for small prints. Any advice for dev. time? As the combination is not recommended, there is little advice it would seem. Thanks; sorry for the time lapse!
Glad you can continue with real photography. And don't worry, 35mm is a good format for many things, maybe only really big landscape needs to go "big". 35 is my 80%.
OK. Neofin is not good developer for HP5. Why ? It is a Tetenal version of Beutler. Created by Willi Beutler in 50-ties for thin emulsion / high contrast films made by Adox then. It is not fine grain and is low contrast, two qualities not going well with HP5. I mix my own Beutler, but use it for TMX, Delta 100 and Efke 25 and Pan F+ only. Delta 100 is the sharpest, but TMX and Pan F have in my opinion better tones.
For HP5 I would suggest two bath dev. like Diafine. I am using myself Stoeckler Two Bath and find it very good with HP5.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:01 PM
Friend

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I had already seen the post for the blind Mike. Unfortunately entirely the wrong size for me. I have tried many variations for black outs over the years. I recently saw one method using pipe lagging foams as edging for board, and will give that one a try I think. My black out material, bought from Jessops many years ago has finally disintegrated.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies