Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd December 2015, 09:47 PM
Friend

Default Plastic Panorama Camera

Hi All,

I'm new to FADU and have only posted to the "Introductions" page so far.

I thought I would share my art that I create with a Kodak "Fun Saver Panoramic 35" disposable camera, these cameras were made between 1992 - 1999, you can still find them on e-bay from time to time. I reload these throw away cameras over and over again with Kodak Tri-X film. I picked Tri-X because of its old school grain structure, a course and more organic look. The shutter on these cameras is what fails every time, some have lasted up to one hundred reloads, most not. I found the Kodak brand easy to reload compared to other brands. Reloading must be done in a changing tent or darkroom. In the light I advance the color film that the camera came with holding my hand over the lens as to not expose the film, click, advance until it's finished, saving that film for another project. Once you remove the cardboard cover from the camera you will see a spot on the right side to pry open the camera, do this carefully as it is easily damaged. The first few times the camera is opened it may require a tool like a flat head screw driver, afterwards my thumb nail works fine. After opening remove the original color film. I use 36 exposure rolls, however it's is little too tight a fit to get the entire roll in the camera, so you might find using a 24 exposure roll better. In the dark have the camera open and the take up reel and film to be loaded handy. Insert the end of the film into the appropriate slot on the take up reel (try this out in the light before you start, you'll see what I mean), then tightly roll the entire roll of film out of the cassette onto the take up reel (keep your fingers off the film). Place the take up end into the camera then the film cassette, advance the film a little to tighten up the film. Since I use 36 exposure film I need to advance the camera a few times before the camera will snap back together. Carefully snap the camera back together from one end to the other making sure it's tight. I have pre torn black camera tape at the ready to tape all around the points that the camera goes together to ensure no light leaks. Some times with 36 exposure rolls the first frame or two is difficult to advance. You will find the counter does not work anymore and the camera will not stop at the next frame. As you advance the camera watch at the top of the camera next to the shutter release there is a hole with a small "U" shaped piece of metal, it will wiggle back and forth as you advance the film, then it will click harder to the right, this indicates that you have advanced the film far enough to have cocked the shutter and are ready take a shot. The reason I use 36 exposure rolls is the fact that I shoot a blank frame between every exposure, this helps with possible frame overlaps and I like the space in the negative carrier. This routine makes for an 18 exposure roll. One other thing I do to the camera is I like to take a very fine file and mess up the inside frame of the camera, you will see what happens on the rebate edge of my frames.

Since the camera is designed for ISO 200 film, I pull process Tri-X film. I process my Tri-X using Nikor stainless steel tanks and reels, Kodak D-76 1:1 for 7 and a half minutes. I agitate continuously for the first 30 seconds, then gentle inventions with a spin for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. A very weak stop bath for 30 seconds (2 ounces of 28% Glacial Acidic Acid per gallon), then Kodak Rapid Fix for 4 minutes agitating 5 seconds every 30 seconds. Wash in an archival film washer for 10 minutes, then 2 minutes in Heico Perma Wash, wash again for 5 minutes then 2 minutes in photo flow, hang to dry.

Here is a link to my art photography website http://www.deonreynolds.com . Look for "panorama", all of these portfolios of images were shot with a Kodak "Fun Saver Panoramic 35" disposable camera. The "square" portfolios were shot with a Hasselblad except the "plastic" portfolio which was shot with a Holga.

Here is a link to my photograph blog that has some pictures of the camera apart https://deonreynolds.wordpress.com/2...a-photography/

Best,

Deon Reynolds
http://www.deonreynolds.com (website)
https://deonreynolds.wordpress.com (blog)
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:50 PM
Friend

Hi. Thanks for an interesting post. What I can't understand is the need to use a disposable camera, when there are millions of good quality film cameras, together with suitable lenses, available for very low prices. I may be wrong, but I assume the Kodak panorama camera produces a crop of a 35mm frame. That's something you can achieve in printing, with some thought, when taking the picture. You could also use a 6x6 camera, and print with a 24x60mm, or similar crop. Starting with a basic, good quality negative, you have the option of a straight print, or you can add effects to alter the end result.
I don't have any problem with people using different approaches to producing images, but I wonder what is the value of using this type of camera which was designed as a disposable item? Is there some special quality about the lens that makes it unique, and worth seeking out?
Alex
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Hi. Thanks for an interesting post. What I can't understand is the need to use a disposable camera, when there are millions of good quality film cameras, together with suitable lenses, available for very low prices. I may be wrong, but I assume the Kodak panorama camera produces a crop of a 35mm frame. That's something you can achieve in printing, with some thought, when taking the picture. You could also use a 6x6 camera, and print with a 24x60mm, or similar crop. Starting with a basic, good quality negative, you have the option of a straight print, or you can add effects to alter the end result.
I don't have any problem with people using different approaches to producing images, but I wonder what is the value of using this type of camera which was designed as a disposable item? Is there some special quality about the lens that makes it unique, and worth seeking out?
Alex
Yes, the 35mm camera does have a removable panoramic mask inside. Poor quality is the exact reason I choose to use such a camera. I love it because it has a more pointillist painting look rather than a photographic one, also the reason I picked Tri-X. I purchased 60 of these gems on e-bay for $1.69 each. The two element plastic lens has less sharpness and contrast as you depart the center of the image. Yes, you could do this in the darkroom or Photoshop, but why not do it in camera with one click rather than hours in the darkroom? I personally don't crop my photographs, everything I print is full frame, I also use the rebate edge now and then. In my opinion everything should be done in camera. Two years ago I had a solo exhibition of these images "Where Cowboys Once Roamed" at the Nevada State Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada. We printed several of them (digitally) 3 feet x 8 feet to hang from the ceiling, they looked fabulous!

Deon
Old 4th December 2015, 09:39 PM
Friend

Whilst I'm not normally a fan of the results of the "toy camera" movement, I really enjoyed your images, which combined interesting subject matter with good composition. I've bookmarked the site and will return again for another look.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies