Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th June 2009, 02:48 PM
Friend

Default Selenium Toner Disposal

Can I ask what people do with their waste selenium toner.

Reading Kodaks info sheet they say it is classed as hazardous, falling under a European Directive. As far as I can make out, it is only enforced on commercial users. But I would like to get rid of it safely and responsibly, some councils take small amounts of hazardous waste at no charge.

What does everyone here who uses Selenium Toner do with their waste?

I intend to use it at higher dilutions for archival purposes.

Neil
Old 5th June 2009, 03:44 PM
Friend

I tend to filter and then top up my selenium toner, so a little goes a long way. Any waste gets flushed down the drain with all my other spent chemicals. I don't consider the minute amount that I generate to be a hazard.
Old 5th June 2009, 04:33 PM
Friend

I do much the same as Dave but keep it in a single vertical slot thingy and it lasts ages kept like this. So not much is thrown away - and always with plenty of water.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th June 2009, 09:37 PM
Friend

If there actually is a European directive, then what "we consider" is overridden by that, surely? My small amounts have been going down the drain, too, until now: but I'm going to check with Lisburn Technical Services next week, now that I've seen this.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Almost everything is hazardous - it's a question of degree. The small amounts of chemicals an amateur uses can be safely flushed down the drain, even I believe if you are on a septic system, 'tho in that case, perhaps more prudent not to flush the spent fixer just in case.

If you use it to near-exhaustion, most of the selenium will presumably be on the prints (don't eat them)...
Old 6th June 2009, 07:36 AM
Friend

Wouldn't worry too much for amateur use. The European Waste Catalogue is massive. My company for instance supplies insulating oil to go inside latge power transformers and oil filled 11kV switchgear. When the oil comes out for maintenance purposes it is generally no more "hazardous" than when it went in but it is still classed as a hazardous waste and has an entry in the catalogue.
Water authorites take a relaxed view over small domestic quantities washed down with plenty of water.

As Dave says keep re-using it as it goes on for ages.

Andrew
Old 7th June 2009, 10:58 AM
Friend

It sounds a good idea to use it as long as possible, hence less waste.

Could I just clarify a couple of points, how would I know when the selenium toner was exhausted?
How do you know how much to replenish if your topping up to make sure its effective?
What do you use to filter? I have heard of some people filtering chemicals with coffee filters, mesh and paper (obviously not subsequently used for making a nice cup of Java)

Neil
Old 7th June 2009, 11:04 AM
Friend

You are not supposed to do it but I find a quick sniff tells me if it's strong enough :-)
I do not filter but about once a year I give the slot thingy a good clean out. Re strength - all depends what you are after and what papers you are using as some papers tone more easily than others. Not very scientific I'm afraid but that's the way I work!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th June 2009, 01:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
It sounds a good idea to use it as long as possible, hence less waste.

Could I just clarify a couple of points, how would I know when the selenium toner was exhausted?
How do you know how much to replenish if your topping up to make sure its effective?
What do you use to filter? I have heard of some people filtering chemicals with coffee filters, mesh and paper (obviously not subsequently used for making a nice cup of Java)

Neil
I run it through a paper coffee filter, the smell is a good guide as the ammonia smell goes as it exhausts. The big test though is how effective is it working. When the volume I have left falls to say 3/4 I top-up with fresh mixed at double strength; not very scientific but it works for me.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:26 PM
Friend

I have been experimenting with the Kodak Rapid selenium toner and had the same thing on my mind about disposal.

I find that the ammonia smell goes away quite quickly but the toner keeps on toning. Does the toner suffer from oxidation? I've been keeping it in the tray and only putting a larger tray over top of it?

Lastly; how toxic is it? do you all wear gloves ... or just put up with the slowly approaching dementia?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies