Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2017, 02:43 PM
Friend

Default My way with 'Farmer's Reducer'

I did a VIDEO on how I use Howard Farmer's Reducer, showing the chemicals and the 'Darkroom Magic' to improve dark prints. You can see it here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4dS75Lt3-w&t=61s
Old 13th November 2017, 06:00 PM
Friend

nice one pete ,but when will you do the smelly one

www.essexcockney.com
Old 13th November 2017, 10:21 PM
Friend

Just a pity, Pete, that you showed the before and after prints of the scene where, based on your own comment, the difference was less than in the other prints. A great pity that you had to do everything by yourself. A cameraman and production run through prior to the "shoot" would, I feel, have made a big difference to its instructional value.

Mike
Old 14th November 2017, 06:54 AM
Friend

Come on Mike! A pretty unfair comment don’t you think? I enjoyed the video and seeing Pete’s method of using farmers. He admitted it wasnt perfect having to hold the camera as well as do the processing but whatever - it worked for me. Whenever anyone steps up and presents something on the internet there’s always someone pipes up from the comfort of their computer desk to criticise and make suggestions. Yet we never see anything they actually do themselves apart from, well, comment!
Thanks to Pete for taking time and effort to do these videos. Enjoyed them very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just a pity, Pete, that you showed the before and after prints of the scene where, based on your own comment, the difference was less than in the other prints. A great pity that you had to do everything by yourself. A cameraman and production run through prior to the "shoot" would, I feel, have made a big difference to its instructional value.

Mike

Tony
Old 14th November 2017, 08:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
Come on Mike! A pretty unfair comment don’t you think? I enjoyed the video and seeing Pete’s method of using farmers. He admitted it wasnt perfect having to hold the camera as well as do the processing but whatever - it worked for me. Whenever anyone steps up and presents something on the internet there’s always someone pipes up from the comfort of their computer desk to criticise and make suggestions. Yet we never see anything they actually do themselves apart from, well, comment!
Thanks to Pete for taking time and effort to do these videos. Enjoyed them very much.
Thanks for that Pete. I've had varying success with Farmer's. I usually end up over-bleaching and losing highlight detail. It's very timely as I've recently been given a load of old, slightly fogged paper and would love to use it. Most of it is Kentmere Art Classic which has a lovely texture. I used a bit of benzotriazole to suppress the fog but the highlights are still a bit grey.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Old 14th November 2017, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I think it is fair so say Pete's videos fall on the "informal" side of video production, but they are no less interesting for that.

One thing I like is that they show people that you don't (usually) need to measure chemicals to the nearest microgramme. Got a couple of plastic teaspoons? That'll do!

I also appreciate the non-nonsense warnings: don't breath it, don't eat it & don't wash in it and you'll be fine (almost always...).

Cheers Pete, keep up the good work in getting the word out there.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:31 PM
Friend

Pete and others, I certainly wasn't having a go at the video. I was merely trying to say that it was a pity that Pete had the burden of instructing, scripting and shooting by himself so was single-handed in both senses of the word i.e. on his own and literally one-handed. Could I have done as well on my own - not a chance - but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Mike
Old 14th November 2017, 06:33 PM
Friend

When I use Farmer's Reducer I use my test strips and work prints to gauge how long I need to leave my best print in the F.R. solution. I also prefer a very dilute solution in order to give me more time to see what is happening. Better to take your print out early and wash it, you can always put it back in the Farmer's solution if its not how you want it. Well done Pete, another entertaining Vlog on the dark arts, (why didn't you put your camera on your tripod?).
Old 20th November 2017, 10:48 AM
Friend

Thanks all -- well I tried to put camera on tripod leaning over my Darkroom Sink and it almost fell over -- and Camera is actually my BOY's and I have to borrow it ! Then YouTube discontinued their 'Video Editor' where I had at last learnt how to 'join Clips' so I have to do it all in 'One Take' without stopping as Daughter has a 'Mac' and can at a pinch help me to join BUT I have to supply clips on a memory stick for her then cannot download the 'Joined Clips' to my Windows system as it in 'Mac' form.
Old 20th November 2017, 10:57 AM
Friend

ok you will never make a Hollywood producer but one thing comes out loud and clear is that you know what you are talking about .I do love the one on the pentax 6x7 cameras as this will be my next buy ,?hopefully . thanks for sharing your knowledge with us ..
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies