Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th February 2012, 08:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Miha uses ambient room temp drying as well which seems very similar to a hang on a line method and has done this room temp drying previously without problems.

I am not sure we have got anywhere near getting to the problem's cause on a collective basis

I am inclined towards Dave's suggestion that contact with Ilford is worthwhile.

Ilford always seems keen to get to the bottom of any potential quality issues and this may be one

Mike
I would also say that they only way to get an answer is an Email to Ilford, as I can't see an answer to Mihas problem, it is just a poslbiltity that there is some QC problem, very unusual with Harman, but I can't see anything else other than a problem with the paper itself, and I am sure Harman will do everything in their power to sort the Problem out. It will be interesting to find out what is happening.
Richard
Old 16th February 2012, 08:18 AM
Friend

Drying speed is a factor of low humidity rather than temperature. Due to the very cold weather in Europe over the last moth I suspect that the humidity is very low so allowing very fast drying. Since humidity falls as temperature rises this effect is exacerbated at room temperature. I suggest that these prints are washed for a few minutes and then hung to dry in a room with standing water, such as a bathroom with water in the bath, this should slow the drying to closer to more normal rate.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:11 AM
Friend

Dave, these prints were processed in August. Prints made on Kentmere RC were also processed last year and are OK. I shall contact Harman in the following days and report back to you.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Dave, these prints were processed in August. Prints made on Kentmere RC were also processed last year and are OK. I shall contact Harman in the following days and report back to you.
OK. But you did say "recent" in your opening post. Never mind, Ilford it must be then.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
OK. But you did say "recent" in your opening post. Never mind, Ilford it must be then.
True! How time flies...
Old 16th February 2012, 10:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
True! How time flies...
Don't remind me, I still think I'm a teenager.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:53 AM
Friend

Humm, all my RC prints curl, though usually not this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcr1 View Post
Hi Miha,

The other thing that's odd is that your prints appear to have curled the opposite way to all the RC prints I've seen (both my own, and students on courses I've attended) on Ilford, Kentmere and Fotospeed papers.

Like everyone else who's commented so far, I've never had the kind of problem you report, and what slight curl there might be in all my RC prints has been the same direction that the paper has when you take it out of the packet to put it under the enlarger - i.e. the emulsion surface is convex, not concave as your prints appear to be.

Andrew
Mine curl, and they curl in this direction, just not this much. I wouldn't call it a problem though. I don't really care. If they're mounted or framed they're fine, and if not, well, so they're curled a bit.

I've also found that using heat will STOP this. I learned this years ago printing color. I'd use a hairdryer to dry test prints so I could evaluate the color, as the color is way off until they dry. I found my test prints would lay flatter than the finished prints that I air dried. At the time, anyway, I also found this to be true with black and white RC, but I confess I haven't tried it in something over a decade so I don't know if it's still true of current papers.

In college I was really bothered by curl or unevenness/waviness in FB prints. Then I started hanging out with some folks who didn't seem bothered by it, and I think I eventually picked up their attitude. If you can't flatten 'em, don't worry about it.

Probably not very helpful, I know.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies