Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2012, 05:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Same here, although I use it between 1:3 and 1:40. I find my noise to be a good indicator when the stuff is on it's last legs. I only now use the Kodak brand so others may differ.
As a general point print fixing followed by complete washing is very important to preserve the life of selenium toner.
Do you make a lot of "noise" when you are on your last legs?
Old 27th May 2012, 08:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As a general point print fixing followed by complete washing is very important to preserve the life of selenium toner.
This general point sounds sensible, however the toning sequence that I am following is in accordance with Ansel Adams practice (page 132-133 and relevant note of "The Print" book) where it is clearly stated to transfer the print directly into the selenium bath after 3' in plain hypo.

By the way I forgot to say that another easy check about the activity of a selenium working solution can be made with a lith print which reacts visibly and very evidently to selenium.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies