Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2014, 10:35 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I hadn't realised this either as a NT member. I wonder what NT's answer would be if asked to justify this? Can it be the popularity of the view? On that basis of supply and demand it seems to me that we are then only a short step away from charging for the most popular properties at say Bank Holidays or say charging for the most spectacular views from Castle Drago

Might be worth a question at the AGM?

Mike
Mike,

No thanks - I would rather be out making images

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 29th March 2014, 11:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
The LDNPA car parks are a pain. They have machines which are supposed to take card payments but so far out of the three car parks I've been to recently (Glenridding and Grasmere areas) all three of them didn't work. Take plenty of £1 coins if you're planning to use them because they're not cheap.

Borrowdale is lovely but it's also reputedly the wettest place in England ...
I second what Richards has said. Parking in the lakes is a major expense. I tend to stay very close to where I want to walk and take pictures. So I can leave the car behind.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 30th March 2014, 05:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
The Derwentwater NT car parks were charging NT members the last time I visited - albeit at a slightly reduced rate but as life long NT member it still grated!

Neil.
I have just returned from Borrowdale valley today and made a point of checking with one of the wardens on their car parks and they definitely DO NOT charge National Trust members for parking. So if they were charging then they were 'on the take'. The only ones who have to pay are non members. Even NON member motorcyclists don't have to pay.
Old 30th March 2014, 05:22 PM
Friend

All these car parks must surely have a legal responsibility to have signage telling customers when and what they have to pay or not.
Old 30th March 2014, 05:23 PM
Friend

That has restored my faith in the NT, John, which I had always regarded as a pretty "up-front" body which held integrity in high esteem.

Certainly I have never experienced any attempt to charge at its Cornish car parks some of which command very good views indeed

Mike
Old 30th March 2014, 07:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
All these car parks must surely have a legal responsibility to have signage telling customers when and what they have to pay or not.
All the 'pay' car parks are equipped with ticket machines with the price for each vehicle displayed on or next to the machine. Some are all day for a set charge, some are per hour or longer. You just have to check.

Some car parks do not have a charge, but have an 'honesty' box. Grange village has one of these but only has about space for 4 vehicles.
There is, as I was told, no charges for motorcycles EXCEPT at a place in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire where the charge is a flat £1, however the warden could not give a reason why that should be..

I was on a bike today so didn't have to pay anyway.
Old 31st March 2014, 09:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I have just returned from Borrowdale valley today and made a point of checking with one of the wardens on their car parks and they definitely DO NOT charge National Trust members for parking. So if they were charging then they were 'on the take'. The only ones who have to pay are non members. Even NON member motorcyclists don't have to pay.

I suspect they tried it on and had too many complaints and resignations - then got sensible again. Anyway good news to hear and long may this continue.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st March 2014, 09:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
That has restored my faith in the NT, John, which I had always regarded as a pretty "up-front" body which held integrity in high esteem.

Certainly I have never experienced any attempt to charge at its Cornish car parks some of which command very good views indeed

Mike

Mike,

We like to attract folks - not send them away

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st March 2014, 06:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
We like to attract folks - not send them away
Neil I thought you were trying to get a Unilateral Declaration of Independence for Cornwall, set up border controls and tax the tourists up to the hilt to finance your exchequer? Power to the people.

Tony
Old 31st March 2014, 08:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Neil I thought you were trying to get a Unilateral Declaration of Independence for Cornwall, set up border controls and tax the tourists up to the hilt to finance your exchequer? Power to the people.

Tony
Do they have posters with the acronym for that placed at the borders
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies