Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th February 2016, 05:08 PM
Friend

Default Reversal processing of RA4 paper

It ought to be possible to reversal-process RA4 paper to produce an image from a transparency. The process could start with a normal B&W developer, then a weak stop bath, then re-exposure followed by RA4 developer (temperature not critical) and RA4 bleachfix (ditto). Has anyone tried it? I have no RA4 facility, so I am not going to volunteer.
I read in APUG that stannous (tin) chloride in a developer (1.6g/litre?) removes the requirement to re-expose, but the idea of continuing the process with the light on rather appeals.
A challenge for someone!
Old 29th February 2016, 08:10 PM
Friend

Hi, there. I did some experiments a few years ago then something went in the way and did'nt go further... anyway it works indeed, I remember using Dektol at usual strenght as a first developer in total darkness followed by a stop bath. Then the main light can be turned on and the process goes on as a regular RA-4. The re exposure time wasn' t critical as far as I can remember. It worked better with moderate contrast slides. Color balance was a bit all over the place, sometimes easier to get at an acceptable point and sometimes with a residual cast that I couldn't correct. A lot of effort to fine tune the process , I might get back at it at some point, who knows... I should have some notes if I could find them.
cheers, m.
Old 29th February 2016, 10:04 PM
Friend

Wow! Thanks for responding. I was sure that someone, somewhere, had tried it. Bravo!
Since I apply the Ilford time/temperature graph successfully for Rodinal and Multigrade developers (my darkroom is 4km from the Mediterranean and its temperature varies 18...27°) and the colour developer is to finality I might have a go myself.
Old 1st March 2016, 01:17 AM
Friend

I have never tried it but have seen an example on another site by an ex Kodak employee who spent a lot of his career developing new Kodak colour negative films. He calls himself PE(photographic engineer)

His example was of a landscape scene and it was very good but he advises against using this technique for people/portraiture shots where good reproduction becomes very problematical

Mike
Old 24th May 2016, 08:23 PM
Friend

Has a formula for the R14/R3 process ever been published? It was originally manufactured by Kodak Pathé and Fuji. On looking back on my Ektachrome paper notes it would appear that the paper intended for prints from transparencies was fairly conventional, but of low contrast. But there was another paper, intended for making copies of prints and photos of objects. That had a normal gradation.
RA4 paper might behave rather well.
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:24 PM
Friend

As a enthusiastic RA4 printer, I tried to process new type of papers (SupraEndura and UltraEndura) in reversal RA4. But I always get poor results. But many times I failed to tune the color balance. I had unpredictable results. So I think if someone want to fine this process, it takes a lot of effort...

So I started to develop all slide films what I can get or find in my fridge in negative chemistry (mostly ECN-2). And I can make pretty nice color balanced prints, they don't look like cross processed. Kodak's are better, Fuji's are worse. But this is completly out of theme

So making prints from slides is still in han ds of those who bought a lot of stock when Ilford announced abandonment of production of Ilfochrome...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies